Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 25, 2023   #16
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2021 View Post
I got an email informing me that the seeds would be labelled "gift" with a nominal value.

I do actually have a "small lots of seed" permit from the USDA. It is easy to obtain, and when overseas sellers request it, you send them a copy of the permit and an accompanying label that the seller uses when packaging up your order.
Unfortunately, pepper and tomato seeds aren't eligible for import with those permits due to disease issues. And any time you buy tomato or pepper seeds from overseas without a phytosanitary certificate, you risk seizure. Possibly that's why the sellers label packages as "home decoration" or "gift," not just concern about customs duties being charged.

Here's the USDA language:
Tomato and pepper seed from all countries requires testing for virus and viroid diseases. These seeds must be accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate from the country of origin with the additional declaration that says “the seeds have been tested for (name of virus/viroid) of quarantine significance prior to entry into the United States or that the seeds are produced in a country in which these (name of virus/viroid) are not known to occur.”
Important: Small quantities of tomato and pepper seeds are not eligible for import under a PPQ 587 permit for Small Lots of Seed.
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2023   #17
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaClay View Post
Unfortunately, pepper and tomato seeds aren't eligible for import with those permits due to disease issues. And any time you buy tomato or pepper seeds from overseas without a phytosanitary certificate, you risk seizure. Possibly that's why the sellers label packages as "home decoration" or "gift," not just concern about customs duties being charged.

Here's the USDA language:
Tomato and pepper seed from all countries requires testing for virus and viroid diseases. These seeds must be accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate from the country of origin with the additional declaration that says “the seeds have been tested for (name of virus/viroid) of quarantine significance prior to entry into the United States or that the seeds are produced in a country in which these (name of virus/viroid) are not known to occur.”
Important: Small quantities of tomato and pepper seeds are not eligible for import under a PPQ 587 permit for Small Lots of Seed.

Hmm. I wasn't asked for the permit so didn't send a copy, nor thought to look. Oh well. Let's see if the seeds show up.

That is a good point about viruses and viroids though...
DK2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2023   #18
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

(I received my order today.)
Old March 1, 2023   #19
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

I have ordered seeds a few times from organicseeds.top. They have great service and I like to support anything having to do with agriculture from this war torn country. I have grown varieties from them and so far they have been true.
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2023   #20
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

My seeds arrived today--took about four weeks, but everything was there, plus some "gift" extras.
DK2021 is offline   Reply With Quote