Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 26, 2021   #301
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I am excited to hear this, I am growing Dikovinka cherry in addition to Start S F1 this year. First time for both, Dikovinka seed source was Carolyn’s Last Seed Offer thanks to FarmerShawn.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2021   #302
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Dikovinka has been a big winner for me for 5 years so far. After two years of growing it I shared seeds with Jeff Casey and Carolyn they loved this variety very much too. Great flavour, one of the best I ever enjoy. Very balanced fruity taste like if you cross SunGold F1 with Black Cherry. Grow this Russian CV every year.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2021   #303
T0mat0stevek
Tomatovillian™

Default Start F1

I planted two Start F1 seeds on March 4. They were transplanted to 4 inch pots March 20. For the past two weeks they have spent daylight hours outside. They've been under the shop lights early mornings and evenings. Now on April 17, they are just about ready to go into permanent containers outside.

What size container will they need?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Start F1.jpg (344.3 KB, 236 views)
T0mat0stevek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2021   #304
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

They look great, better than mine. Thanks for sharing. I won't help you with that container, I only grow tomatoes in flower beds in the garden. It is a tomato with fruits the size of about 100 g, in my case the plant grown on one stem reaches a height of about 180 cm with seven inflorescences.
As RJGlew wrote, a tomato similar to 7 of July, although the fruit seemed a little bigger. It's been a long time since I've grown 7oJ, my memory doesn't serve me much anymore, maybe it's different
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2021   #305
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Wow, I haven't seen such sturdy and strong Starts before.

I don't know if my experience can be of any help to you. At home, I grow them in - you won't believe it - 12-liter containers (a bit over 3 gallons). And then they go onto the balcony. And they do just fine in the same containers. So I suppose that a 5-gallon container should be luxury for them. Of course, if you fertilize them adequately. I just use a basic sort of NPK fertilizer. Actually, if you really want to have the best taste, don't overdo either fertilizing or watering. The best tasting fruits are about 80 grams. I overdid both once, got fruits up to 150 g, but they weren't the usual 10 in taste (scale 0 - 10) I am used to. I'd compare them to Czechs: they are the best when they aren't being "spoiled".
Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2021   #306
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thank you again Vladimir and Robert. My Start F1 plant was planted out last night, it is a very healthy plant. I will share reports on my experience with the plant here if that is OK.
Old May 15, 2021   #307
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Here's a photo of my Start (one of a few) taken on Fri (May 14). Start is the third from left.
Milan HP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nový záhon osazený 1.jpg (305.9 KB, 187 views)
Old May 16, 2021   #308
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

The Start S f1 looks very good. I also like the rock backdrop.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2021   #309
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

I posted in another thread about Start F1. http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=51004

I seeded 02/24, planted out May 01 when the plant was 11" tall. I used tunnels to compensate for some cold nights but all my plants start their life in my rather chilly basement under lights with a fan so when I start setting them out to acclimate, cooler temps aren't a big deal to them. Very excited to grow this tomato! Appreciate the chance to try it!!!

Today, May 18, I just found my first baby tomato.

CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2021   #310
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello, CAO,
you won't regret. However, Vladimir and I may have raised your expectations too high.

Milan HP
Old May 19, 2021   #311
newgardener_tx
Tomatovillian™

Thank you MrBig46 and RJGlew for sharing and sending the Start F1 seeds. I planted 5 seeds at the end of Feb and all seeds came out. I set out 3 plants at the beginning of April. Today two plants have fruit already. Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Start F1_051921.jpg (59.5 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Start F1_1.jpg (53.7 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg Start_F1_2.jpg (48.8 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg Start F1_3.jpg (57.8 KB, 148 views)
newgardener_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2021   #312
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

June 18 2021: Loads of fruit setting on my Start F1. Very healthy and fast growing plant. I am pruning bottom leaves, center leaves for airflow and removing most or all suckers from this point—4-5 main growth stems remain. There are at least 30 small fruits already set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AE7AEAF5-4D9D-4F62-A246-C05F35BAB97F.jpg (167.4 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg B69692C3-9559-46D0-ADA8-A961499C3853.jpg (159.5 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by jmsieglaff; June 18, 2021 at 03:16 PM.
Old March 3, 2023   #313
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I'm slowly finishing growing tomatoes and so I would like to close this thread somehow.
Vladimír
Old June 18, 2023   #314
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Stupice field early ones, called Stupice in the world, are among the most popular heirloom tomatoes, especially for their earliness and taste. This extraordinary tomato was bred by Jaroslav Homola and was named after the farm in Stupice (a village near Prague). At the time he was sent to forced labor in Germany in 1943 he made a cross (Mikado x Rheinlands Rhum) x Solanum racemigerum. Subsequently, he selected two mutations with a Mikádo type leaf (potato leaf) from a large number, which he stabilized over several years.

Strain 27-M was the basis for the later recognized variety Stupické polní ráné. The plant is of weaker growth, sometimes referred to as semi-determinant, it is a very early variety (also evaluated in this way in the world), the breeder Jaroslav Homola recommends - sow and plant early and lead to 1 shoot. It was then intended for the early market, to be eaten raw, the taste is very good, the ratio of acids and sugar is very harmonious. As MS. the variety was authorized in 1955.

Clone R 14 was the basis for the tomato, later called Stupické sklínové. It differs from Stupický field early in its stronger growth and larger fruits. It was designed specifically for quickening in the greenhouse, where it guarantees very early harvests with a good proportion of Class I fruits. As MS. the variety was authorized in 1954.

In the nineties of the last century, four seed companies separated from the state sector, all of which acquired the rights to these varieties. To this day, they all produce and sell their seeds. I wondered how the plants and fruits grown from these seeds differed. By experimenting, I discovered that plants and fruits do not differ from each other in appearance or taste.

Not only are the seeds of Stupický polního early sold to this day, but this variety is still used in the breeding of hybrid varieties in the Czech Republic. Of course, the clone with a potato leaf is not used, but a plant with a normal leaf, Ostrava early, which was recognized in the Czech Republic in the 1950s. varieties. The most famous is the Start F1 hybrid, for which it has already been published. Today, it is no longer published which varieties are used in the production of F1 seeds, but I, as an amateur, think that Czech hybrids are based on these original Czech varieties - I can't help it when I taste Czech F1 varieties, I feel that typical taste there. as I call the Czech taste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jaroslav Homola.jpg (103.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 217487.jpg (119.9 KB, 42 views)
Old July 26, 2023   #315
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Tomato Stupické polní rané
Tomato Stupice polní rané ones, called Stupice in the world, are among the most popular heirloom tomatoes, especially for their earliness and taste. This extraordinary tomato was bred by Jaroslav Homola and was named after the farm in Stupice (a village near Prague). At the time he was sent to forced labor in Germany in 1943 he made a cross (Mikado x Rheinlands Rhum) x Solanum racemigerum. Subsequently, he selected two mutations with a Mikádo type leaf (potato leaf) from a large number, which he stabilized over several years.
Strain 27-M was the basis for the later recognized variety Stupické polní ráné. The plant is of weaker growth, sometimes referred to as semi-determinant, it is a very early variety (also rated as such in the world), the breeder Jaroslav Homola recommends - sow and plant early and lead to 1 shoot. It was then intended for the early market, to be eaten raw, the taste is very good, the ratio of acids and sugar is very harmonious. As Czechoslovak variety was authorized in 1955.
Clone R 14 was the basis for the tomato, later called Stupické skleníkové. It differs from Stupický polní ranéfield early in its stronger growth and larger fruits. It was designed specifically for quickening in the greenhouse, where it guarantees very early harvests with a good proportion of Class I fruits. As Czechoslovak variety was authorized in 1954.
In the 1990s, four seed companies separated from the state sector, all of which acquired the rights to these varieties. To this day, they all produce and sell their seeds. I wondered how the plants and fruits grown from these seeds differed. Through experimentation, I discovered that plants and fruits do not differ from each other in appearance or taste.

Not only are Stupický field early seeds still sold today, but this variety is still used in the breeding of hybrid varieties in the Czech Republic. Of course, the clone with a potato leaf is not used, but a plant with a normal leafs Ostravské rané , which was recognized in the Czech Republic in the 1950s.The most famous is the Start F1 hybrid. Today it is no longer published which varieties are used in the production of F1 seeds, but I, as an amateur, think that Czech hybrids are based on these original Czech varieties - I can't help myself when I taste Czech F1 varieties, I feel that typical taste there. as I call Czech taste.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jaroslav Homola.jpg (103.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 217487.jpg (119.9 KB, 17 views)