Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old June 30, 2007   #1
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Default Purple cauliflower

This purple cauliflower, Violet Queen, is one confused brassica. The plants look like cauliflower plants with light green, narrow, pointed leaves, but the curd is purple and looks just like a broccoli floret. I haven't eaten it yet, so I don't know whether it tastes like cauliflower or broccoli. The purple goes away upon heating and to give a green floret.
DSC_6989 Violet Queen cauliflower.jpg
Below is a regular broccoli, the purple cauliflower, cucumbers (Homemade Pickles), and a large Early White Vienna kohlrabi. Looking on is one of our cats.
DSC_7004 broccoli, purple cauliflower, cukes, kohlrabi, cat.jpg

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2007   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Raw or cooked, your confused cauliflower sure is a pretty one. Of course, the purple is nice, but I'd like a green, cooked cauliflower too. Kind of like that broccoflower at the store.

You cat reminds me of one I had as a kid. I really loved that cat. She was a sweetie. Why are almost all the calico/tortoise shell cats female, anyway?

And now back to cauliflower!
Old June 30, 2007   #3
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Tomorrow I will cook the Violet Queen cauliflower (I have several times started typing "Violent Queen"--must be a Fruedian slip or something).

Seems to me I've read that all calicos are females. This one's name is Emma, but we always call her Stubbie. I have no idea why "Stubbie," but the nickname has stuck.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote