Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old March 18, 2015   #1
creister
Tomatovillian™

Default Cucumber Mosaic Virus

I have read that Armenian cukes are highly susceptible to CMV. I was going to grow some this year, but am hesitant after reading that. What are you all's experience with CMV and this variety?
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015   #2
walkertrex
Tomatovillian™

Generally speaking, my luck with the cucurbit family is pretty awful. Between squash bugs, vine borers, and CMV I can pretty much count on my season being very short lived. I've not grown the Armenian types specifically, so can't speak to that. I've heard that the Japanese soarer cukes from Kitazawa are rather resistant.

This year I am trying a moschato squash, Corinto cucumber (gynoecious and parthenocarpic), and some cousa squash to see if any fare better than those I've tried in the past. I am also planting some melons but highly doubt I will get to actually enjoy any fruit. Figured I'd try just in case!!

Good luck in your search!
walkertrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2015   #3
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Default true for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by creister View Post
I have read that Armenian cukes are highly susceptible to CMV. I was going to grow some this year, but am hesitant after reading that. What are you all's experience with CMV and this variety?
I have grown Armenian cukes and got only one nice cucumber before CMV got it. The only successful cuke variety for me was holland white. If I remember well, holand white seeds came from SSE. I wil keep growing those and experiment with varieties I haven' tried. If you have an area where cucubrits never grew before, maybe it's worth trying Armenians. Good Luck!
Old May 17, 2015   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have had really good luck with Sweet Success for years but the seed are not cheap.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote