Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 3, 2016   #1
enchant
Tomatovillian™

Default Custom hydration dome

I've only been seeding for a few years and I'm still just growing into all this. In the past, I started my seeds with these low-cost hydration domes that are simple plastic trays covered with clear plastic domes that could hold 72 cells. They work fine, but I'd like something a little bigger, and since that could run into money, I wonder if I'd be better off just building my own to the exact specs I need - something that will fit my heating pad and can securely suspend my grow lights overhead.

My concern is the height. Unless I'm mistaken, keeping the humidity up is the is major point of a hydration enclosure. On the one hand, I don't want it to be too short, otherwise the seedlings will be bumping their heads into the roof. On the other, if there's too much headroom, I'd think that would decrease the humidity.

Is there any wisdom about how big an enclosure is suitable? I'm thinking I might want room for about 100 seedling cells.

Thanks for any advice.
enchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2016   #2
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Once the seedlings have broken through the surface, you do not need the humidity/dome, so I'm not sure you would need to go taller than the standard dome.
As soon as I see a majority of seeds up, I take the dome off and turn the heat mat off.
If you want taller there are the ones for cuttings:

Dome.jpg
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2016   #3
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

https://www.hydrofarm.com/p/CK64081
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2016   #4
enchant
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
As soon as I see a majority of seeds up, I take the dome off and turn the heat mat off.
Thing is, I have a few varieties of tomatoes, peppers, herbs, etc., and they come up at different times. Some of the tomatoes might come up in a few days, and the peppers don't show up for another week after that. So I'm removing seedlings a few at a time.
Old March 3, 2016   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

enchant, there is a such thing. These two are full sheet cake "whatever they're called" you know, a cake big enough to feed a school But domes are really just for the first few days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0011.JPG (78.1 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by AlittleSalt; March 3, 2016 at 08:52 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2016   #6
Uncle Doss
Tomatovillian™

you could always build a sort of cold frame and use it inside if this is what you are after.
take some 2 by 2s, build a frame, cover it in clear plastic, done deal.
But I agree, once the majority of the seedlings have sprouted, there is really no need for the dome.
If you are concerned about variations in times of germination, start multiple domes, and only one variety per dome. You don't have to use seed starting flats, deli containers work, and if you only have one or two of a particular variety that you want to grow, cut the top off of a water or soda bottle, add some soil mix, plant the seed and either replace the top of cover with saran wrap.

I am trying right now to germinate some cedar tree seeds. I saved a few water bottles, put about an inch or so of seed starting soil into the bottom, got it lightly damp, the dropped in a seed and replaced the lid. If they grow alright, at some point I will just cut the bottle open to remove the seedling.
Old March 3, 2016   #7
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Hi Enchant,
Joan in Reno made a interesting portable cover. Check it out. http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=21023
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2016   #8
enchant
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the interesting info folks!