Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 21, 2017   #1
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Hubby's Tomato Garden

My husband hasn't had a whole lot to do with my garden over the years, but he's always willing to lend a hand when I need it.

Today, for example, was tomato planting day and he always helps me get my 8' bamboo stakes pounded into place. After they were in, I carted over all my plants, made my selections (I had two of almost every variety to choose from), planted them and tied them to their stakes.

Two weeks earlier my husband had ordered three yards of topsoil to do some lawn re-grading/re-seeding, and they dumped three yards of compost in our driveway instead.

Knowing I was going to have extra plants, and seeing as how he had extra compost, he bummed some grow bags and a bunch of used Wonder Soil off me, mixed the Wonder Soil with the compost, filled the bags, and then went "shopping" among my spare plants.

I had promised myself that I wouldn't plant as many tomatoes this year, and that other than the dwarfs I would skip grow bags for extra grow outs. So now I have my down-sized tomato section in my raised bed, and he has his own personal container tomato garden along the fence.

His reason was that after all the work I put into grafting them, he wasn't about to let them go to waste! 💜💜

So here's what he decided to grow:

*Cuor Di Bue
*San Marzano Redorta
Seek No Further Love Apple
Azoychka
Orange Minsk (Heart?)
Buddy Runyon
Aunt Swarlo's Polish Paste

* these my husband got from an elderly Italian customer who had gotten his original seeds over a decade ago in Italy, and they are now the only two he grows.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2017   #2
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

That's great! Now with both of you gardening you can have twice as many tomato plants, & more varieties! He sounds like a great guy.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2017   #3
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

That's awesome!. Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2017   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I think that is really cool for both of you

Something special.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #5
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

What a great husband. I can only hope mine gets the bug like yours has. He does help me a lot in the garden and he has picked tomatoes a couple of times. He also likes to take a walk out to the garden and see the new happenings out there.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #6
MissS
Tomatovillian™

How wonderful now you have more to share together and will help one another grow.
Old May 22, 2017   #7
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Fantastic. Getting hubby interested and involved has to be a win-win situation. You can have a competition to see who's plants do best

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #8
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Cheers to you and your hubby. Mine loves to give my harvest away , with pride. But graduating to grow any by himself, not a chance. He helps me drag the heavy soil bags and digging and watering.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #9
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

That is awesome. My wife has zero interest in gardening, so I am a one man show. During harvest she does get a lot of enjoyment of giving the bounty to family and friends. And I get enjoyment from her enjoyment.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #10
garyjr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
That is awesome. My wife has zero interest in gardening, so I am a one man show. During harvest she does get a lot of enjoyment of giving the bounty to family and friends. And I get enjoyment from her enjoyment.
Same here. I have a plan where one afternoon a week we do what she wants and one afternoon we do what I want. Thinking that will get her more interested in gardening. Problem is I have no idea what she would have in store for me so I have yet to implement this plan.
Old May 22, 2017   #11
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjr View Post
Same here. I have a plan where one afternoon a week we do what she wants and one afternoon we do what I want. Thinking that will get her more interested in gardening. Problem is I have no idea what she would have in store for me so I have yet to implement this plan.

Go for it, she might surprise you!

~Margaret Atwood~

Old May 22, 2017   #12
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

After almost 35 years of marriage, I've learned that it's best to leave him be rather than to try and actively encourage him to get involved in my interests. He does the same.

Every now and then curiosity leads to interest, which sometimes leads to participation. If not, then both of us are perfectly okay with acceptance and/or tolerance of each other's hobbies.
Old May 25, 2017   #13
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

The illness is setting in...

He spent last night reading information to me from websites giving tips on how to grow the best tomatoes.
Old May 25, 2017   #14
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

LOLOLOLOL.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old May 25, 2017   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What if he does better than you?
Worth