Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 26, 2018   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default Time to pick a few Beets

This morning I decided to take some beets from my grow bag garden along with a few radishes. Now I'll just have to plant some more beets for a fall harvest!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beets,peppers and tomatoes 001.jpg (331.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Beets 002.jpg (565.2 KB, 84 views)
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2018   #2
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Those are gorgeous! Which variety are they?

I've tried (unsuccessfully) to grow beets several times. There must be some trick to growing them. I get the seeds to germinate, thin them, and then get nothing but greens. I'm considering trying them again next year...
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2018   #3
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

HudsonValley, they're Detroit Dark Red, Mosse's strain, this was my first time growing beets in a grow bag here's how I did it. In my grow bags I always use potting mix because it dosen't get compacted like soil in a container does (It sounds like that might have been your problem) anyway I plant seeds 1" deep around the outside edge of my grow bag about 5" apart and then one in the center. As far as fertilizer I use a 10-10-10 mix then after the 1st month if necessary I thin them as needed. I then apply a water soluble mix made by Expert its 15-30-15 but I mix 1/2 TBS per gallon of water (That makes it half the strength) I pour about a quart per bag for both the beets and carrots. I just replanted the bag I had the beets in so I'll have more come the 1st week of Oct.. Good luck!
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2018   #4
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Jetstar! I have only tried growing beets in raised beds. After the first failure I even added sand to the soil, thinking I had a drainage problem. After multiple failures, I put tomatoes in the bed and they're doing well.

I do have some very fluffy container mix... I'll definitely try your method!
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018   #5
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I grow beets in the ground with no problem and my husband loves the greens so when I harvest my beets, I cut the leaves off about 2" above the beet to avoid having the beets "bleed" in storage.

I cook the greens by boiling in water and serve them with melted butter. They taste like very mild beets to me. The beets store well in the crisper drawer of my refrigerator for months.

Here is last week's harvest. They are Detroit Dark Red and Bulls Blood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180722_152701.jpg (485.1 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by brownrexx; July 27, 2018 at 09:18 AM.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018   #6
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

Wow! You guys have some nice harvests there!!! I have some beets (Dark Detroits) growing in a 24"x15"x9" tote that I got at Walmart and drilled drainage holes into. I use soiless mix like Jetstar. I bought one of those little 6 section things with the starts from a local store. In each of the 6 sections were a bunch of baby beet plants. I separated them all and replanted them into the tote with proper spacing and filled it up. They are doing really well! Not ready for harvest but I have been eating the greens with my chard and am happy with the progress. I hope they turn out as well as the bounty you folks got.
Pete

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote