Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 1, 2015   #16
sundrop
Tomatovillian™

I start seeds for spring tomatoes in Jan. here in the Az desert for myself and garden club sales when low temps are from 35 to 45 deg. Germinated inside they go out into the sunshine as soon as they come up but back in at night for a week or two them parked on the porch at night to protect from the occasional frost so they do get the cold treatment. I hadn't heard of water stressing them but will do that in the future, thanks for the good information.
sundrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2015   #17
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I do let my plants wilt and they all did inadvertently get the cold treatment in my coldframe. 2 plants died but the rest survived with minor damage. I guess that explains why they have done so much better all around.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2015   #18
Growing West
Tomatovillian™

I water stress mine every year at least once. On this one, I am glad that my accidental incidents are beneficial. I also cold treat, on purpose, as I know my plants will have to endure some of that post-transplant in Montana.

I placed my first plant order in almost a decade this year. I gave up on ordering plants after having a wretched debacle involving serial lying by a plant woman from California. I have also invested a sum in building seed starting equipment. This year, though, I tried Lazy Ox Farms because I wanted to grow Joe's Pink Oxheart. I dont know if Margie water stresses (I did cold treat them), but all of her six plants kept up with mine in what was a very good early season. I have traded plants with relatives and office mates over the years and these are the first that have kept up with my own.

Last edited by Growing West; July 1, 2015 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Addition
Growing West is offline   Reply With Quote