Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old March 15, 2017   #16
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I tried saving fingerlings for seed this year, they are a little shriveled (I should have watched humidity in basement more) but are sprouting nicely. I think I will wait a week or so to plant as it was 17 degrees this morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #17
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post

I tried saving fingerlings for seed this year, they are a little shriveled (I should have watched humidity in basement more) but are sprouting nicely. I think I will wait a week or so to plant as it was 17 degrees this morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You can plant them fine, as long as they don't freeze in the ground.
The seed potato provides the embryo , genetics and some initial food..
I found a few in the pantry with sprouts. Now they are on window sill for chitting. I will plant them on Friday when this nasty cold is gone.

Happy Gardening !

Last edited by Gardeneer; March 15, 2017 at 05:55 PM.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #18
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I think planting certified disease free seed potatoes is very important especially in any area warm enough in winter for late blight to survive on tubers. Its worth a few dollars to be safe and your tomatoes will also thank you
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #19
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
I think planting certified disease free seed potatoes is very important especially in any area warm enough in winter for late blight to survive on tubers. Its worth a few dollars to be safe and your tomatoes will also thank you
KarenO
These fingerlings were saved from certified ones last year... Hopefully they should be alright.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #20
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
These fingerlings were saved from certified ones last year... Hopefully they should be alright.

Saving your own from plants you are certain were disease free would be OK.
planting Grocery store potatoes is a very bad idea however and many people do it to save a few bucks. It is not worth it.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2018   #21
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I ended up having lots of volunteers so I think it might work to plant in late fall here. This year I’m going to take some sprouted potatoes in th pantry or from the store and replant in a week or so,adding lots of leaves for insulation.
If they could overwinter and volunteer last year, a record cold January they will survive most winters here.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2018   #22
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

My sister Pickles and I had both been reading about planting fall potatoes and wanting to try that. Yesterday Pickles checked on the small (~2") potatoes left in the storage closet and found that they all had 2" sprouts on them. Time to experiment!

Since I'm just three weeks out of knee surgery and not in gardening mode for a while, Pickles did some tilling in the garden and planted one 18' row, half with Red Norland and half with Yukon Gold. She planted them whole and also did a final hilling on a few volunteers that came up where the potatoes were planted this past spring.

Here are two articles that might be helpful:

https://www.homestead-acres.com/plan...s-in-the-fall/

http://www.backwoodshome.com/plant-y...all-or-winter/
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2019   #23
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I ended up having lots of volunteers so I think it might work to plant in late fall here. This year I’m going to take some sprouted potatoes in th pantry or from the store and replant in a week or so,adding lots of leaves for insulation.
If they could overwinter and volunteer last year, a record cold January they will survive most winters here.
Did you ever try that? We had heavy rains in December that caused ponding where the fall planted taters were. They rotted. Just wondering if you had any success if you did plant. We're going to try just a few hills again this fall.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2019   #24
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

Initially I had the seed potatoes in a plastic dishpan,on the transplant I was able to pick enough small ones for a meal.
I have them in an old ice chest now with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage.
I may grow them indoors as a houseplant.Easy to dig into the chest to steal a meal.
If you are good you can try grafting experiments with tomatoes.
Potato roots tomato plant above ground.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2019   #25
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

Slugworth

Interesting idea, "I may grow them indoors as a houseplant". "I have them in an old ice chest now with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage." Never thought of that. Potato variety planted? What did you use for potting mix and what was the watering schedule? Are they under lights or just in a sunny room. Very interested in your results.

So, your plan is to overwinter potato plants?

I may give it a try also in 5 gallon buckets.

Muddy Buckets

Last edited by MuddyBuckets; September 14, 2019 at 03:27 PM. Reason: additions to post
MuddyBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote