Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 27, 2022   #1
ac21686
Tomatovillian™

Default Crovarese - flavorless two seasons in a row.

Has anyone else grown this before? It’s fairly early for a grape-style tomato and its size, but it’s soft-skinned (as advertised), mealy, and flavorless. “Sweet and tangy” it is not thoughts from anyone else who has grown it?
ac21686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2022   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hundreds of good ones out there. Hundreds of bad ones.
Sounds like you found a bad one. Curious Why did you grow it again if was not good last year?
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2022   #3
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

So Funny, Amen!!!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2022   #4
ac21686
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Hundreds of good ones out there. Hundreds of bad ones.
Sounds like you found a bad one. Curious Why did you grow it again if was not good last year?
My uncle grew it as part of a mixed cherry and grape basket we sell at our garden center. He's very stubborn Luckily it's not too many plants but I'm going to keep this one out of the baskets. I was just curious if someone has actually grown this and found it to be sweet/flavorful is all. I'd like to grow a tomato of similar size but with good flavor to fill a basket quickly to reduce labor.
Old July 27, 2022   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac21686 View Post
My uncle grew it as part of a mixed cherry and grape basket we sell at our garden center. He's very stubborn Luckily it's not too many plants but I'm going to keep this one out of the baskets. I was just curious if someone has actually grown this and found it to be sweet/flavorful is all. I'd like to grow a tomato of similar size but with good flavor to fill a basket quickly to reduce labor.
Makes sense.
Do you grow hybrids? If so and you want to fill baskets check out some of the big new cherries from Fred at artisan seeds. I understand they are doing very well for growers.
I grow them as well but in a garden so that’s different than selling fruit.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2022   #6
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

still trying to figure out what soft skin means
thick skin and thin skin
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2022   #7
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth View Post
still trying to figure out what soft skin means
thick skin and thin skin
Hello Slugworth

To me, Soft Skin on a Tomato is like a very thin delicate soft surface that melts in your mouth joined by tomato flavor of it's juice flash.

Thick Skin in Heirloom Tomatoes has a thick juicy membrane with the flesh before the seedy flesh ections, followed by Juicy deep Tomato Favor in both Cherry Tomatoes and Large Tomatoes.

Thick Skin in Hybrids Tomatoes means toughness in the flesh and membrane before the juiciness of the Tomato of Cherry Tomatoes.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2022   #8
ac21686
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Makes sense.
Do you grow hybrids? If so and you want to fill baskets check out some of the big new cherries from Fred at artisan seeds. I understand they are doing very well for growers.
I grow them as well but in a garden so that’s different than selling fruit.
KarenO
I will do that next season! I tried Sunrise Bumblebee out one season and it was a gold producer but the flavor was only so-so. I feel like that was a bad year for the garden though due to a lot of rain. I do grow hybrids. I grew BHN 968 from Johnny’s and wish I had grown more, actually. Seeds are a bit expensive but we’re a garden center first and this is just something to pass the time in August when it slows down quite a bit. Nice, balanced flavor that’s still plenty sweet.
Old August 2, 2022   #9
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
Hello Slugworth

To me, Soft Skin on a Tomato is like a very thin delicate soft surface that melts in your mouth joined by tomato flavor of it's juice flash.

Thick Skin in Heirloom Tomatoes has a thick juicy membrane with the flesh before the seedy flesh ections, followed by Juicy deep Tomato Favor in both Cherry Tomatoes and Large Tomatoes.

Thick Skin in Hybrids Tomatoes means toughness in the flesh and membrane before the juiciness of the Tomato of Cherry Tomatoes.
which one gets stuck between your teeth at social gatherings?
4th of july hybrid has skin like that.
early but you can't smile about it after eating.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote