Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old July 29, 2016   #16
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
The first link you gave had only the abstract,with no mention of pathogens detected,so I went back to that one and fetched the other link which is

http://www.tomatosolutions.ca/

I was able to review their breeding worrk and varieties mentioned,but didn't have time to check to see where they named pathogens detected or who their customers were.So if you could help me with that I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Carolyn
Section 5 18A control group of seeds were confirmed to be 100 percent infested with Bacterial pathogens..

They didn't attempt to identify the the specific bacteria on the seed coat .In an earlier study they identified and eliminated all bacteria and even bacterial spores.

"Bacterial colonies found on tomato seed treated with lower levels of chlorine were
uniform and similar in appearance. In other seed treatment work (Dick, 1981), both
yeasts and bacteria were found on the seed, and the presence of spore forming bacteria
such as Bacillus spp. was confirmed. In the present study, the identification of bacteria
found on the seed was not attempted but they may have been spore forming bacteria with
significant resistance to chlorine disinfection. Non-spore forming pathogens would be
eliminated prior to the destruction of spore forming bacteria."

You are Welcome

Last edited by seaeagle; July 30, 2016 at 02:05 AM.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

On a different subject sort of but not really.
I read a deal on line the other day about mold spores and mold.
The guy said that bleach wouldn't kill it but anti microbials would.

I have no idea if he is right but I used both bleach and hydrogen peroxide plus dish washing soap just not at the same time.
I was sterilizing my fermenting crock and stones before use.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #18
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Bleach kills everything, so does peroxide. Soap makes germs fall off and be rinsed away.

Sterile means void of life. Unless it's inside a pressure cooker or autoclave, it's not sterile, and even then, it's only sterile until you open the lid, and the air hits it.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #19
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

All you can do is bring the numbers down as much as possible.

I treated a small batch of Copper River with a Liquinox bath for 20 mins and it cleaned the seeds real nice. After a thorough rinse, I set them out to dry. The treatment gave them an olive green tint, similar to some commercial hybrids I've purchased. Germination so far equivalent to fermentation.

If a bug survives all those detergents for 20 mins then they deserve to live.

I'm gonna try it on a few other batches of seed.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote