Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 13, 2016   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Containerted's 2016 startup

Today was the start to getting the seeds into the mix. I'll have at least two other trays like this one. Note that each of the 72 little compartments have multiple seeds in them.

I'll have the other two trays in a day or so. No hurry here. The second picture is the simple map of what seeds are in which compartment in case things get jumbled or take a hit or something. I also use that map to indicate that a little seedling has appeared indicating that germination has happened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0087.JPG (342.2 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0088.JPG (273.1 KB, 240 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #2
clara
Tomatovillian™

It's really funny, Ted! That's almost exactly what my starting trays look like, but without the white stickers. The seed tray is in another tray, marked with A - L and 1 - 6. Then there is a map similar to yours with all the names and the number of seeds in each cell and I can see that in cell # G3 is Maiden's Fire for example.
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #3
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Off to a nice start! Your picture is almost clear enough to provide the same info as your handwritten spreadsheet!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
Off to a nice start! Your picture is almost clear enough to provide the same info as your handwritten spreadsheet!
Actually, the original picture had to be size reduced to be able to post it here. The original is good enough to read the back row with ease.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old March 13, 2016   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clara View Post
It's really funny, Ted! That's almost exactly what my starting trays look like, but without the white stickers. The seed tray is in another tray, marked with A - L and 1 - 6. Then there is a map similar to yours with all the names and the number of seeds in each cell and I can see that in cell # G3 is Maiden's Fire for example.
Clara, are you back home now? Hope so. You might see a couple of familiar names in this first tray. And, did you know that those white stickers are "cut up mini-blinds". Next destinations for the current occupants of this tray will be 9 oz plastic cups followed by a main garden location.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old March 13, 2016   #6
imp
Tomatovillian™

Very nice printing, too! Want to do my labels from now on??? LOL!

Iam glad you are getting to start some, it's fun to get into the dirt.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It's all a really good system, but cut up mini-blinds is pure genius.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #8
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Very nice Ted. Here's to another great season my friend.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #9
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, Robert. We've been using them for several years now. I cut each of the blind blades down the middle and then to the length I like. Then, a fine point Sharpie and we're off to the planting.

It's the easiest and, most importantly, by far, the CHEAPEST way to do it. You can buy a new blind or just use an old one that needed replacing. Each slat in a standard window width will yield up to 16 plant markers. An old pair of scissors cuts the plastic easily.

And, they go to the garden or container at plant-out time. I stick them in the ground when the seedling is planted and pick them out when cleaning up the garden in the fall. The shade from the plant all but eliminates sun fade.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; March 13, 2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old March 13, 2016   #10
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Hey, Garrett. A couple of the ones I got from you are in that tray. Hope your season is bountiful and everything tastes good.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old March 13, 2016   #11
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
And, they go to the garden or container at plant-out time. I stick them in the ground when the seedling is planted and pick them out when cleaning up the garden in the fall. The shade from the plant all but eliminates sun fade.
I've had problems with Sharpie "permanent" marker fading on mine, so I simply write the name at the top (exposed) and again near the point. Where it is underground, the writing remains clear and easy to read if I can't make out the name on the top. Saved me from lost ID more than once.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #12
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Ted, I showed this to my wife and she's agreeing 100%. She says a 24" blind at Walmart sells for $2.78 - larger ones for $3.78. I know how I'll be doing this from now on.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #13
timbucktwo
Tomatovillian™

I was just getting ready to throw out an old set of Venetian blinds, great idea!
timbucktwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #14
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Hey, Garrett. A couple of the ones I got from you are in that tray. Hope your season is bountiful and everything tastes good.
I too have several of the ones you sent me in the ground already. Thanks again Ted
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #15
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Lots of time you can drive down the road and find lots of free blinds from where folks have thrown them out. If you have mini blinds and they too long for your window, you can always take out the bottom ones and cut them up.

Nice selection you have started there. : ) Lots I haven't heard of before, so it will be nice later on to see how they do and what you think of them.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote