Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Interested in planning your own tomato-tasting event? Post your ideas and/or plans here!

Old June 13, 2008   #31
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Zana,
Yes, she couldn't do it last year. Hopefully she can this year. We have a great time when we can get out together!
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2008   #32
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Ok....only 3 weeks until the 2008 KW Oktoberfest starts! Wow how time flies. The official keg tapping opening ceremonies are Friday, Oktober 10th. This year is the 40th Anniversary of the largest Bavarian Festival outside of Munich.

Once again the Kiwanis Club of Twin Cities, Kitchener will be running the Karlsberghaus at the AUD Festhalle. We're just a "small" party....only licensed for 2300! Although not all nights are expected to sell out, 2 have already.

We're also trying something new this year. We're open during the day on Saturday, Oktober 11th, to host the Oktoberfest Muai Thai Tournament. This is a official sanctioned qualifying tournament for international competitions. Last I heard, there is at least one team coming from Europe as well as from all over North America. Should be a great display of a lesser known martial art. Ticket holders for the afternoon event will be given a $5 off coupon for the Saturday evening, if they want to join the regular Oktoberfest festivities.

Here's our schedule:
Friday Oktober 10th - DAVE'S Night Out with Dave FM
Saturday Oktober 11th (Afternoon) - Oktoberfest Muai Thai Tournament
Saturday Oktober 11th (Evening) - Oktoberfest with our award winning band the Saxons
Monday Oktober 13th 1130am-430pm - Bands on Parade and Oktoberfest Music after the Oktoberfest Parade. We will be featuring a number of the marching bands from the Oktoberfest Parade. This is an all ages event.
Wednesday, Oktober 15th - BEATtoberfest, with a number of artists. (This is not a regular Oktoberfest style event - many of the artists are hip hop and other genres.)
Friday, Oktober 17th - University Night - Regular Oktobefest style - normally I would say this "officially" sold out, but I'm personally hold some tickets, for friends from TV and elsewhere. So PM me if you're interested.
Saturday, Oktober 18th - Closing Night - Regular Oktoberfest style - Again "officially" will probably be sold out within the next week, but I am personally holding some tickets, for friends from TV and elsewhere. So PM me if you're interested.

More information on various events and hotels, etc. can be found at www.karlsberghaus.com or at www.oktoberfest.ca

On the weekend there will be the usual farmer's markets run at the Kitchener Farmer's Market (downtown Kitchener), the Waterloo Farmer's Market and the Stockyards Farmer's Market. The latter two being across the street from each other on Weber Street between King Street and Northfield in Waterloo at the edge of St. Jacobs. You'll find more of the Old Order Amish Mennonites at the Waterloo market. There is also an outlet mall beside the Stockyard Market. And about a 5 minute drive from there is St. Jacob's where there are great quilt shops and other quaint and artisanal stores to check out, as well as a museum/meeting place that tells the story of the local Amish community...plus plenty of great restaurants.

Hope to see you here! I'll try to spend some time with whomever comes, but I'll be working the front door for the duration of Oktoberfest at our Festhalle. I'll be the one in the dirndl!

Ein Proesit!
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2008   #33
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Well today the Festhalle was dark...so the stuffed Turkey is in the oven and the veggies are in the oven and the salad made of about 5 different varieties of toms is marinating in the fridge...the apple pie is cooling....and I'm ready for a nap...lol.
Yup...its Turkey Day Weekend north of the border and I keep napping between doing different food preps.

After averaging 16+ hour days Wednesday and Thursday for set up at the Festhalle...picture an olympic size ice hockey rink/arena transformed into a German/Bavarian style Beer/Festhalle and you've got the rough idea....and 19+ hours on Friday, I was back at the Festhalle on Saturday morning for 0700 to help the Muay Thai people set up their registration and medical exams/weigh-ins before the tournament began. Then after taking the afternoon off to run errands and get a nap in (felt like I had just fell asleep when the alarm went), I returned to the Festhalle for more crazieness. So that's 2 days down...and 4 more to go before we call it over....and start teardown for the year.).

BTW...We had 2 title bouts, but don't ask me what classes they were. It was rather interesting because allot of local martial artists of other arts could be spotted in the crowd watching too. We had a former WBC International light middleweight champion/ Canadian and Super Welterweight World Boxing Champion, amongst others....even though it wasn't a huge crowd, they were definitely into the fights. And the bouts that were on were fun to watch and educational from the stand point that I know I hadn't much of a clue about what Muay Thai was all about.

If anybody is still planning to come closing weekend, you need to let me know asap, so that I hold tickets for you. We're almost totally sold out for those evenings (Friday and Saturday.)

Ein Proesit!
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote