Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old July 14, 2016   #31
rwsacto
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambiorix View Post
What are the varieties of tomatoes which underwent both treatments?
I did not keep a detailed list. Most were OP varieties from the tomato trade including hearts and early ripening varieties.

Rick
rwsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2016   #32
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsacto View Post
They grew up fine and lived happily ever after

Once in the sun, there was no difference in new growth or roots compared to seedlings raised under fluorescents.

Rick
Thats good to hear Rick. Inquiring minds need to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhardy View Post
I have been looking at replacing the two short fluorescent lights units with one 4 ft. led. Any one have a preference? 6000 to 6500K for color. How many lumens are you going for?
Typically 6500K are preferred which ever tube you use. The Costco shop lights are only 4000K. But you heard the man, THEY WORKED. Perhaps not optimally, but good enough for a backyard gardener who doesn't want to spend a bunch, and save on electricity to boot.

For what it's worth, I just checked, and Costco has them on their web site with a manufacturer discount until 7/31 until supplies last, for $47.99 for two double fixtures.
So, that's $24 each. Even if you don't need lights now, they would be good for emergency spares.
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2016   #33
crankyoldfart
Tomatovillian™

BJs Wholesale Club has a 4' LED shoplight made by Lights of America. I recently bought a couple of them, too late for seedling season, but I like what I see. Model # 8140 SE2-WH5 puts out 4500 lumens, 5000K color temp, and CRI of 86. $34 apiece recently, normally $37 (if they are in stock). Great light for the laundry room right now, it's "wicked bright" as they say in Massachusetts!
crankyoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2016   #34
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankyoldfart View Post
BJs Wholesale Club has a 4' LED shoplight made by Lights of America. I recently bought a couple of them, too late for seedling season, but I like what I see. Model # 8140 SE2-WH5 puts out 4500 lumens, 5000K color temp, and CRI of 86. $34 apiece recently, normally $37 (if they are in stock). Great light for the laundry room right now, it's "wicked bright" as they say in Massachusetts!
I Googled that model number and checked it out and made a comparison next to the one Costco has. The main advantage to Costco's is that they are linkable, so if you wanted to hang two or three fixtures together on one outlet you could.

This also came up in my Google search.
http://www.ledsmagazine.com/articles...led-lamps.html

Now it's possible Feit could also be fudging, and maybe that's why they are discounting them. Who knows?
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote