Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old June 23, 2014   #1
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Default The Sweet Flavor of Manure

Last year, I didn't do any soil amendment to my high tunnel beds, just tilled and added chemical fertilizers. The flavor of my tomatoes were weak. I just thought that was an effect of being in a high tunnel.

This year, I went into the cow field in the early spring and scraped up the topsoil around where the cows had been fed big bales of hay. It looked like black dirt. I carried it by the bucket out of the field, a truckload of buckets at a time. Each bed got a thick layer of the stuff that was tilled in.

I ate my first high tunnel tomato of this year, and it is tremendously better-tasting than what I grew last year. If the flavor of a perfect late-summer outdoor garden tomato is a 10, I would rate the tomato I ate today at a 9. Last year was more like a 5. And sixty days after planting, my plants are seven feet tall and loaded with fruit.

Fittingly enough, one of our cows is named Sugar. She makes sweet flavor indeed
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #2
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

You are fortunate to have that source so close at hand. I have to drive to a horse farm to get it. My truck will only hold 19 5 gallon buckets but I make many trips during the year. It is free and the owner has it all scooped up in a large pile so I am grateful to have this resource.

With Florida's less than optimal native soil I would not have the same growing success without it. The taste of tomatoes grown in good rich soil is different. I remember what tomatoes tasted like when I lived in Kentucky and Indiana and was so disappointed in my Florida ones until I amended the soil and switched to organic fertilizers.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #3
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

You're going to make me regret not using Black Kow compost this year, aren't cha??
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #4
peppero
Tomatovillian™

I too have benefitted from the generous use of from the barn, ground manure. It does wonderful thing for the garde and I am fortunate to have all I want. I have an old Kemp shredder/chipper that I rescued from ruin and when I have large pieces of dried manure I run itthrough the Kemp and store it in 5 gal buckets for future use if not needed right away.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year in a new garden, so I am using a combination of Black Kow and rabbit manure that I got off CraigsList. This fall, I will be hitting up all the nearby horse stables as well as collecting mountains of leaves from neighbors. Shredded leaves are an incredible amendment and can make even an average-tasting variety extraordinary.

Michael G. added 4-6 inches of shredded leaves each year to his garden beds

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #6
creister
Tomatovillian™

Feldon,

I couldn't agree more on the shredded leaves. That has been one of my most used amendments. If I can't get any, I go to our city recycling center and can get all the shredded native tree material I want. It is an exceptional source of nutrients as well, as it is leaves, stems, and roots.

Are those beds no border and raised?
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #7
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by creister View Post
Feldon,

I couldn't agree more on the shredded leaves. That has been one of my most used amendments. If I can't get any, I go to our city recycling center and can get all the shredded native tree material I want. It is an exceptional source of nutrients as well, as it is leaves, stems, and roots.

Are those beds no border and raised?
These are Michael G's beds from his garden in Texas. They are raised beds but I would say they have a makeshift border. He was growing hundreds of plants. Haven't heard from him in a while. I really need to post photos of my own garden this year. I didn't get to start out with leaves, but I will be piling them on this fall.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #8
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
"The first duty of the agriculturalist must always be to understand that he is part of nature and can not escape from his environment." - Sir Albert Howard
Seems like you are learning that wisdom Robbie! High tunnel or not, you still need to follow the basics. That means animal manure instead of chemical substitutes.

Quote:
“As the small trickle of results grows into an avalanche — as is now happening overseas — it will soon be realized that the animal is our farming partner and no practice and no knowledge which ignores this fact will contribute anything to human welfare or indeed will have any chance either of usefulness or of survival.” Sir Albert Howard
Sounds like you are now part of the avalanche of results!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; June 23, 2014 at 02:00 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2014   #9
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

I love using both manure and large quantities of oak and maple leaves when I make my compost. I think both have made an incredible difference in my garden.

Glenn
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2014   #10
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

The following was included in the column [ ideas for preparing beds for next season]
I'm new to this site and trying to figure it out. So much good information about my favorite subject-dirt.

My gardens are improved with horse manure and leaves in the fall.
When any large blocks of plants come out, such as garlic in July, I
will cover crop with buckwheat and then grain rye. I can double up
on the cover crops and still have time for leaves in November.
I hear a lot of talk about tillage ruining soil structure or damaging
earthworms. Organic matter has been tilled into my gardens twice
a year for decades. I can assure you that what few earthworms are
hurt will replenish quickly.
Nothing against store bought fertilizer but natural products do work
over time. Brown-green and manure in any combination or quantity
is all soil really needs.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2014   #11
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbebs View Post
The following was included in the column [ ideas for preparing beds for next season]
I'm new to this site and trying to figure it out. So much good information about my favorite subject-dirt.

My gardens are improved with horse manure and leaves in the fall.
When any large blocks of plants come out, such as garlic in July, I
will cover crop with buckwheat and then grain rye. I can double up
on the cover crops and still have time for leaves in November.
I hear a lot of talk about tillage ruining soil structure or damaging
earthworms. Organic matter has been tilled into my gardens twice
a year for decades. I can assure you that what few earthworms are
hurt will replenish quickly.
Nothing against store bought fertilizer but natural products do work
over time. Brown-green and manure in any combination or quantity
is all soil really needs.
Welcome bjbebs,

Soil is my favorite subject also. I am actually surprised that we do not get more posts on soil building. Personally I can't think of anything more important to growing high quality produce.

Glenn
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote