Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 16, 2017   #1
2gengh
Tomatovillian™

Default Grow bags

I am in the process of making my own grow bags. They are approx 3 gallon bags. I am using a net pot in the bottom sitting on a gutter system. Is the 3 gallon bags big enough for tomatoes and peppers etc. I have been told that I need at least 5 gal bags. Any thoughts.
2gengh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gengh View Post
I am in the process of making my own grow bags. They are approx 3 gallon bags. I am using a net pot in the bottom sitting on a gutter system. Is the 3 gallon bags big enough for tomatoes and peppers etc. I have been told that I need at least 5 gal bags. Any thoughts.
I think 3 gallon is way too small for most tomatoes except maybe for micros and some hot chili peppers.
Yes , 5 gallon is on the border line, that is recommended to use for most varieties. Ten (10) gallons plus is better for indeterminants.
When container is too small, it has some disadvantages :

-- The plant will get root bound, stay dwarfish and produce fewer and smaller fruits.
-- It will need more frequent watering and fertilizing. Even then the moisture level will be inconsistent and that in turn might cause BER..
JMO

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017   #3
2gengh
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I think 3 gallon is way too small for most tomatoes except maybe for micros and some hot chili peppers.
Yes , 5 gallon is on the border line, that is recommended to use for most varieties. Ten (10) gallons plus is better for indeterminants.
When container is too small, it has some disadvantages :

-- The plant will get root bound, stay dwarfish and produce fewer and smaller fruits.
-- It will need more frequent watering and fertilizing. Even then the moisture level will be inconsistent and that in turn might cause BER..
JMO
THANKS... I will use these small bags for something else......
Old February 17, 2017   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
THANKS... I will use these small bags for something else......

In the past I have bought and used cheap re-usable grocery bags ( from Kroger/Fred Mayers ) for peppers and dwarfs. The bigger size was over 6 gallons. And the cost : 89 cents.
I still have some of those and might plant ornamental peppers in them.

Happy Gardening !
Old February 17, 2017   #5
Merridiel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post

In the past I have bought and used cheap re-usable grocery bags ( from Kroger/Fred Mayers ) for peppers and dwarfs. The bigger size was over 6 gallons. And the cost : 89 cents.
I still have some of those and might plant ornamental peppers in them.
Walmart has bags this size for 50 cents each. Or at least, they did a few months ago when I was buying a few dozen to plant in.
Merridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merridiel View Post
Walmart has bags this size for 50 cents each. Or at least, they did a few months ago when I was buying a few dozen to plant in.
That is a good deal. Even it just last one season, what will be the damage ? 50 cents ?

Happy Gardening !
Old February 17, 2017   #7
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

The RGGS will keep the moisture consistent, and if you're able to feed them adequately with liquid nutes and/or slow release granules, plus Cal-Mag (via liquid or dol-lime), you can get away with the 3 gallon bags. Give it a shot, worst case scenario you get smaller tomatoes that have more intense flavor.

Compact plants, such as Bushy Chabarovsky or other bushy determinates, any from the dwarf project, lots to choose from.

I've grown "larger" indeterminates in as little as 4 gallons and they do just fine, the RGGS helps you get away with smaller volumes.

Some of the larger plants, and even some of the dwarfs have gone full kratky, bursting through the bag, through the net cup and doing a Rapunzel impression in the tube.

Last edited by Gerardo; February 17, 2017 at 04:06 AM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017   #8
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

You should be able to use 3-5gallon bags for dwarf plants as I am now. I'm using 5gallon for cherry tomatoes too.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017   #9
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
You should be able to use 3-5gallon bags for dwarf plants as I am now. I'm using 5gallon for cherry tomatoes too.
Dwarfs that I have grown, were bigger than some determinants. They can grow upward of 5 ft and bushy too. YMMV

Happy Gardening !
Old February 17, 2017   #10
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

I've used 7 and 10 gallon root pouches for tomatoes with pretty good results.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017   #11
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I go with five gallon bags for dwarf tomatoes and they do very well. I grew some dwarf project tomatoes in both five gallon bags and in ground last year, and didn't see much difference in plant size or production.

Three gallon bags are perfect for small, super hot peppers. I've grown both habaneros and Scotch Bonnets in three gallon grow bags and ended up with healthy plants, loaded with more peppers than I knew what to do with!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017   #12
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I go with five gallon bags for dwarf tomatoes and they do very well. I grew some dwarf project tomatoes in both five gallon bags and in ground last year, and didn't see much difference in plant size or production.

Three gallon bags are perfect for small, super hot peppers. I've grown both habaneros and Scotch Bonnets in three gallon grow bags and ended up with healthy plants, loaded with more peppers than I knew what to do with!
I have grown some in 5 gallon too:
== Pink Passion
== Rosella Crimson
== Dwarf Purple Heat ( biggest .. staking was a problem. Cage would be better)
and few others.
I have grown most of my hot peppers in re usable grocery bags ( 5 to 7 gallon ). They did fine as they produced just on flush of peppers in my then PNW climate.

Happy Gardening !
Old February 18, 2017   #13
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I have grown two plants in 6 gallon bags, this year I am using 5 gallon and most will have two plants. At the end of the season the vines average 15-20 feet Piece of cake if you keep them watered.
The plants at the right side of the pic are two plants in a 6 gallon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1367.JPG (384.1 KB, 244 views)

Last edited by AKmark; February 18, 2017 at 08:20 PM.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2017   #14
2gengh
Tomatovillian™

Default RGGS?

What is RGGS? I so need to learn so much!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
The RGGS will keep the moisture consistent, and if you're able to feed them adequately with liquid nutes and/or slow release granules, plus Cal-Mag (via liquid or dol-lime), you can get away with the 3 gallon bags. Give it a shot, worst case scenario you get smaller tomatoes that have more intense flavor.

Compact plants, such as Bushy Chabarovsky or other bushy determinates, any from the dwarf project, lots to choose from.

I've grown "larger" indeterminates in as little as 4 gallons and they do just fine, the RGGS helps you get away with smaller volumes.

Some of the larger plants, and even some of the dwarfs have gone full kratky, bursting through the bag, through the net cup and doing a Rapunzel impression in the tube.
Old February 19, 2017   #15
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
What is RGGS? I so need to learn so much!:

Rain Gutter Grow System
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote