Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 22, 2015   #31
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavid View Post
Thats a nice harvest Bill! I have had a lot of BER this year, more than I ever had. What varieties are you growing this year? Which has been the most productive so far?
My most productive plants in order of productivity so far are:
Indian Stripe PL
Pruden's Purple
Indian Stripe
Spudakee
Limbaugh's Legacy
German Johnson
JD's Special C Tex
Royal Hillbilly
Giant Belgium
Dester
Brandywine Sudduth's
Donskoi
Brandywine Cowlick's

As you can see my most productive are black tomatoes but that is because many of them are much faster to ripen so I have picked more of them; but these numbers could change dramatically as the summer progresses because there are a lot of tomato plants that I haven't gotten a single fruit off of yet but I will soon. Unless the worms get much worse.

I saw BER almost disappear in my garden when I started mulching with cypress mulch and feeding my plants weekly with TTF. The cypress mulch does a wonderful job of keeping the soil cooler and slowing evaporation so there is a more even moisture. Occasionally during really dry spells and high heat I can't get out and apply enough water and if a bed gets too dry then I sometimes get a few fruits with BER but it is my fault for not being more careful in maintaining the moisture level. I think maybe the high levels of calcium in TTF help with BER also and I know it helps with fruit set.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #32
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
My most productive plants in order of productivity so far are:
Indian Stripe PL
Pruden's Purple
Indian Stripe
Spudakee
Limbaugh's Legacy
German Johnson
JD's Special C Tex
Royal Hillbilly
Giant Belgium
Dester
Brandywine Sudduth's
Donskoi
Brandywine Cowlick's

As you can see my most productive are black tomatoes but that is because many of them are much faster to ripen so I have picked more of them; but these numbers could change dramatically as the summer progresses because there are a lot of tomato plants that I haven't gotten a single fruit off of yet but I will soon. Unless the worms get much worse.

I saw BER almost disappear in my garden when I started mulching with cypress mulch and feeding my plants weekly with TTF. The cypress mulch does a wonderful job of keeping the soil cooler and slowing evaporation so there is a more even moisture. Occasionally during really dry spells and high heat I can't get out and apply enough water and if a bed gets too dry then I sometimes get a few fruits with BER but it is my fault for not being more careful in maintaining the moisture level. I think maybe the high levels of calcium in TTF help with BER also and I know it helps with fruit set.

Bill

Thanks for the tips Bill. You are most helpful, as always
I plan on using the cypress mulch next year, I read that it aids your Brandywines with the fruit set. TTF is something that I hope to try. I see that several people have great results with it. What are your thoughts on Dester? I don't remember you mentioning that one before.
Good luck to you Bill and keep us posted.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #33
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavid View Post
Thanks for the tips Bill. You are most helpful, as always
I plan on using the cypress mulch next year, I read that it aids your Brandywines with the fruit set. TTF is something that I hope to try. I see that several people have great results with it. What are your thoughts on Dester? I don't remember you mentioning that one before.
Good luck to you Bill and keep us posted.
This is my first time growing Dester so it is too early to tell. I don't even think I have tasted one yet. I just set out another small bed of tomatoes and set out Sioux for the first time. I hope the new plants can survive the heat long enough to make it.

Bill
Old June 22, 2015   #34
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
This is my first time growing Dester so it is too early to tell. I don't even think I have tasted one yet. I just set out another small bed of tomatoes and set out Sioux for the first time. I hope the new plants can survive the heat long enough to make it.

Bill

I planted Sioux this spring but it is obviously some other variety, had high hopes for this one. I plant on putting out some new plants in early July using your advice that I have read. I started Carbon, Berkeley Tie Dye Pink, Carbon Copy, Large Red Cherry, Porter, Black and Brown Boar, Cosmonaut Volkov, and Stump of the World, in late May. Your posts made me want to try fall maters, as this is my first time to plant this late. Good luck with yours Bill!
Old July 3, 2015   #35
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I got to eat a few Desters this week and they were fantastic. Right now in the top five for flavor but it does get a lot of Early Blight compared to almost all the other varieties I grow but unlike Red Barn which has the same tendency with EB it doesn't seem to get sun scald as bad when the diseased leaves are trimmed away. It has been over two weeks since I have been able to feed my plants any TTF and it is showing in the fruit set; but with all the rain we have been having I'm just afraid to add more water. They will just have to look a little poorer until it dries up a bit. This constant rain and high humidity is causing me to spend my garden time spraying every other day lately to keep the diseases from getting out of control.

Bill
Old July 3, 2015   #36
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I got to eat a few Desters this week and they were fantastic. Right now in the top five for flavor but it does get a lot of Early Blight compared to almost all the other varieties I grow but unlike Red Barn which has the same tendency with EB it doesn't seem to get sun scald as bad when the diseased leaves are trimmed away. It has been over two weeks since I have been able to feed my plants any TTF and it is showing in the fruit set; but with all the rain we have been having I'm just afraid to add more water. They will just have to look a little poorer until it dries up a bit. This constant rain and high humidity is causing me to spend my garden time spraying every other day lately to keep the diseases from getting out of control.

Bill
Thanks Bill for the update on Dester. I was wondering how it was doing for you. Hopefully the weather conditions will improve for you.
Old May 4, 2017   #37
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Totally agree!!If I can't see through them they need pruning.Last year in S.C., 22 days, 100+s, max humidity.That is hell to grow in and work in.7 ok in evening still mid 90o+s.
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote