Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 4, 2017   #1
epenna
Tomatovillian™

Default Newbie w/ a couple of questions

Hey everyone,

I'm in Southern California, I have ten tomato plants, all different varieties in large containers, and I am drip irrigating them.

This is my first year growing seriously... in previous years, I had a few plants, and hand watered irregularly, and had poor results.

The plants have been in their pots for over a month, and all seem to be thriving.

So... some questions:

Some of the plants have already set fruit, and some of the plants have put out flowers but are not setting fruit. Should I fertilize them differently, or, considering how early it is in the season, should I try to get the fruiting plants to go back into foliar growth?

I think I overwatered last year, so this year I am letting them wilt once to make sure that I give the roots a chance to dry out, and then will go back to regular watering. So far it has been five days of no water, and no sign of wilting, so I think I'm doing right in letting them dry a bit.

I am thinking of replacing my 2gph emitters with .5gph emitters and watering longer. the 2gph emitters had water running out of the bottom of the pot within 5 minutes of watering... then again, the pots may have been soaked already, and perhaps now that they are drying out, this will not be the case.

I have mulch on top of the soil, and am trying to decide between fertilizing with a watering can, or trying to fertilize through the drip system. If I go the drip system route, where do I place the fertilizer unit in the order from the spigot? I'm thinking spigot, timer, pressure regulator, filter, then fertilizer unit. I this correct?

Do I need to purchase liquid fertilizer in that case, or can I liquify my granular fertilizer? I am tempted to just use a watering can, as cheaper and easier.

Very glad to have found Tomatoville, and I thank you all for your thoughts!

E
epenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

You'll need an injector to fertigate, and injectors are built for specific flow rates. With only ten plants, it's going to be hard to get a high enough flow rate to make the injector work. You would want to use a water-soluble fertilizer, and not try to liquefy a granular product. Some people use a Miracle-Gro type of fertilizer. I have also used 4-18-38, alternated with calcium nitrate and the occasional dose of epsom salts for magnesium if needed.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #3
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Ten plants is not overbearing to hand water/fert, if you're going to be home every day. I did 30 some last year and it's good exercise that puts you in touch with your plants. If you want to go on vacation it becomes hard, but that sword cuts both ways. I use it as an excuse to stay home.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #4
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Ten plants is not overbearing to hand water/fert, if you're going to be home every day. I did 30 some last year and it's good exercise that puts you in touch with your plants. If you want to go on vacation it becomes hard, but that sword cuts both ways. I use it as an excuse to stay home.
I couldn't agree more, on all points.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #5
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
should I try to get the fruiting plants to go back into foliar growth?
The fruiting plants are not "out of" foliar growth. Tomatoes can grow and support fruit at the same time.

Don't be seduced by all the talk you will hear about different lights and different nutrients for "growth" and for "flowering". Even where those distinctions are useful, they apply to Cannabis, not to Solanaceae (tomatoes and peppers).

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #6
epenna
Tomatovillian™

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the info! Just to clarify, i am growing outside, in dirt.

I am going to hand-fertilize to start with, using a liquid, but continue to automatically water.

Updates to follow.

E
epenna is offline   Reply With Quote