Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old December 30, 2016   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default freezing astringent persimmon pulp: myth? how to use?

Does anyone have direct experience freezing hachiya persimmons (the ones that are astringent when firm)? If so, how did you use them?

I helped pick persimmons with a local fruit-harvesting-for-food-banks group last month and took home buckets of damaged fruit to compost or salvage. I dehydrated a bunch of the less-damaged firm fruit. With the rapidly declining remainder, I culled the ones that were rotting, cut away the damaged parts of softening fruits, and scooped out the intact but unripe pulp. I ended up being able to salvage far more than I anticipated, so the freezer is now half full of persimmon pulp!

Now the question is, what do I do with it? And is it safe to use? Although one of the volunteers assured me that freezing unripe hachiyas is a great way to bypass the tannins, I did a bit of internet research and found a range of advice. Maybe ok for baking? But what about ice cream making, or eating as is (after thawing)?

Or perhaps I should just dehydrate it all...a messy operation with defrosted slurries of persimmon!
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2016   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I am not very familiar with persimmons but how about some jam maybe
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2016   #3
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I haven't froze them personally but I know someone that freezes them whole to eat later, they let it thaw for a few hours and they say it's like a smoothie when they eat it. Try one in a few days and see if you like it.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2016   #4
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I would never eat an unripe Hachiya; if freezing them helps to "bypass the tannins" does this mean they taste like they are ripe somehow?
I once watched a Japanese tv show where these fruit were used to make a natural bug-repelling varnish for wood furniture. That's how bad they taste unripe.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2016   #5
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

My top three persimmon memories.

1) As a child there was a persimmon tree in my grandfather's yard I'd sample from.

2) Carried a persimmon 1-wood for several years.

3) My father has compared the taste of unripe persimmons to alum for more than 50 years. Any sentence with persimmon, 90% chance you will hear alum.

*The facial mask thing comes up a lot when you google persimmons. Might be something there.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2017   #6
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

I assume you are talking about the tall pointy ones? I've found that they taste sweet but that awful sour fuzz gets on your tongue even when they are ripe. You have to wait untul they are super mushy overripe to eat them, and even then it's risky.

In some stores in Southern California they call those "cooking persimmons" so i gather that they make for great pies if you cook them. Not sure about freezing them, i might try it just to see if it works.
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote