Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old February 26, 2016   #31
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Robert they look great, every one of mine have broken through the soil.
Now if you dont know it you need yo start hilling up and putting a big pile of leaves on top of the soil.
This will help keep the soil below 70 degrees a little longer so they will produce more potatoes.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2016   #32
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Great seeing all of you in the southern climes getting the potatoes and tomatoes started and growing. My garden is in zone 6 and plan to plant potatoes peas spinach and onions middle of March. I am envious and raring to begin!!!

Worth, I am a new member last month and have read many of your posts. Agree and appreciate all you have to say. Feel like I have known you for years! Keep up the great work!
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2016   #33
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I agree Worth. That's why my onion pictures have leaves all around them.

I just took the soil temperature out in the middle of the garden. It is down to 58F after the almost 3 inches of rain we got Sunday through Tuesday. It was up to 62F

The soil temperature in the onion bed is 49F. You can feel the difference just touching the ground.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2016   #34
whistech
Tomatovillian™

Robert, the potatoes are looking great! I bet you have a bumper crop. Looks like your onions are doing very good also.
Old February 26, 2016   #35
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Onions in the Leaves

Since I mentioned onions growing with oak leaves around them - I thought I would share a few pictures. The first picture are second year onions I planted.

Pictures 2 and 3 would probably enjoy growing in a shaded octopus garden. They are Oxalis Triangularis. I never would have thought they would be growing in February.

Picture 4 is Elephant Garlic

Picture 5 are onions that are coming up from seed that I didn't plant myself. The wind did it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0071.JPG (112.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0073.JPG (81.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0074.JPG (77.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0075.JPG (98.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0077.JPG (107.9 KB, 46 views)
Old February 26, 2016   #36
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Everything looks great Robert I am glad you crawled out of your death bed to take pictures as I know you have had the flue or something.

It is funny you are trying to keep your onions cool and I am hoping mine warm up some.
I read on a university sight some place they wont bulb up unless the soil temps and so on stay at around 60 or 70 degrees? no matter what the length of the day was.

Worth
Old February 26, 2016   #37
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The flu/black plague/common cold...whatever it is - is getting better. Finally no headache today after 8 days.

I only have the two smallest onion beds covered with leaves. The main onion bed and the two rows in the garden are growing without leaves.

What made me think about trying the leaves and cooler ground is I've noticed over the past couple years - the onions companion planted under the tomato plants always get more leaves than those in the onion beds. The onions also smell and taste stronger. I figured, "Why not try it?"

Through internet research - I didn't find squat supporting my findings. I will know how some of them taste before too long because they're growing where I'm going to plant all those Tomatillos.

Oh, and tomatillos grow very FAST in solo cups.
Old February 26, 2016   #38
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
The flu/black plague/common cold...whatever it is - is getting better. Finally no headache today after 8 days.

I only have the two smallest onion beds covered with leaves. The main onion bed and the two rows in the garden are growing without leaves.

What made me think about trying the leaves and cooler ground is I've noticed over the past couple years - the onions companion planted under the tomato plants always get more leaves than those in the onion beds. The onions also smell and taste stronger. I figured, "Why not try it?"

Through internet research - I didn't find squat supporting my findings. I will know how some of them taste before too long because they're growing where I'm going to plant all those Tomatillos.

Oh, and tomatillos grow very FAST in solo cups.

Yes they do because the soil is heating up.

As for looking and finding your results sometimes it just isn't out there because people have just kept following instructions.
This is why we have to experiment to see things for our selves.
My onions are growing in just about every environment I can think of.
One of them being sandy loam and pea gravel.

Worth
Old February 26, 2016   #39
whistech
Tomatovillian™

Robert, for what it's worth, according to Dixondale, onions need 200 heat units to put on a leaf and every leaf makes an onion ring. The more leaves you have before the onion starts to bulb, the bigger the onion will be.

Here's a couple of videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oALQHr15d2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g1-dAMjs0k
Old February 26, 2016   #40
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistech View Post
Robert, for what it's worth, according to Dixondale, onions need 200 heat units to put on a leaf and every leaf makes an onion ring. The more leaves you have before the onion starts to bulb, the bigger the onion will be.

Here's a couple of videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oALQHr15d2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g1-dAMjs0k
Thanks Arlie that is the same thing Glenn Drowns was saying about sweet potatoes Heat Units.
Right now I am trying to get my onions to grow as fast as they can and watering every other day or as soon as the soil is dry 1/2 inch down.

Worth
Old February 26, 2016   #41
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Looks like I'll be removing oak leaves.
Old February 26, 2016   #42
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Looks like I'll be removing oak leaves.
I thought you might be doing that, put them on the potatoes.
Worth
Old February 27, 2016   #43
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It just dawned on me I need to start bringing in the three onions in a can in at night to get more heat units.

Worth