Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old January 4, 2016   #1
imp
Tomatovillian™

Default Looking for Wrinkled Pea varieties

Does anyone know of the names for various wrinkled seed peas? The wrinkled ones are supposed to be sweeter, but many places do not state whether the seed is wrinkled or round.

Of course, me being me, I would love them to also be pole varities, but will take any variety names, just so I can try to find seeds for them.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2016   #2
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

Here imp, I'm looking for fun peas to grow too in this cold! Spring is still months away..

Green Arrow – midseason; wrinkled seed; 24- to 28-inch vine; 41⁄2-inch pods; 9 to 11 peas per pod; resistant to downy mildew and fusarium wilt; 68 days.

Little Marvel – First Early. 62 days, old variety; wrinkled seed; 15-inch vines; early; 3-inch pod; 6 to 8 peas per pod; dark green pea; round, tender, sweet and fine flavor. Unsurpassed by any others in its class. Good for
freezing and canning.

Thomas Laxton – 81 days. Large bright green high sugar content, excellent quality. 6 to 8 peas per pod. Pods are about 31/2 inches long. Wilt tolerant. Excellent for home and market.

Knight – 62 days. High yields, tight pods. 7-9 peas per pod, about 4". Good disease tolerance to pea enation mozaic virus, powdery mildew, bean yellow mosaic virus.

Amish Snap – 60 days. Grown in Amish communities long before present day snap peas. Vines grow to 5-6ft. Heavy producers of 2” curved sickle-shaped pods with 4-7 peas per pod. Bears for over a long 6 week period, if kept well picked. Delicate and sweet, superb flavor…even when the seeds develop. A crisp “eat-it-all” pea variety. Pods were medium- sized, heavy, tough & wrinkled with 5 to 6 seeds in most. Sweetness dissipated with age.

Carter’s Daisy or Dwarf Telephone (1880’s) – Highly productive. 75 days. A variety of great popu- larity. Has attractive pods 5 inches long and well filled with 8 to 10 peas of excellent quality. The plants grow 18 inches tall and bear a great abundance of broad, well-rounded, pointed pods.

Champion of England – a variety said to come into its own in England in 1843. Pods are fairly long, each containing easily up to 10 peas. Dry seeds are weird…oblong, green and only slightly wrinkled. 75 days.

Progress #9 (a.k.a. Laxton's Progress #9, Greater Progress, and Blue Bantam) –
58-65 days. A leading large-podded, home garden, heirloom variety. Its vigorous dark-green plants produce 4"-5" pods with 6-9 large, wrinkled dark-green peas. It is an early producer with consistently heavy yields. Dwarf vines grow to 15-20 in., needs no staking and is easy to grow. Great flavor and quality. Resistant to wilt and fusarium rot. This variety originally developed in Britain.

Pioneer – This flavorful shell pea produces plenty of 3–4 inches pods bearing 6–9 peas each on compact 20–24 inches vines. Easy to shell for side dishes, salads, or freezing. Plant early in the spring to harvest before the summer heat sets in. Staking is optional. Resists mildew.

Kelvedon Wonder – 75 days. (also known as First Early) Super-early dwarf variety reaches only about 18" tall, requiring no staking. Highly recommended for successive sowings: also a great variety for container planting or cold-frame growing. Produces heavy crops of sweet,small peas, often eight per pod; typically yields two fat pods per node. Resistant to pea wilt and downy mildew.

Wando – 70 days, heat resistant. Pods are 2-1/2 to 3″ long, dark green, straight, blunt, borne both singly and in pairs. Each pod contains 8 to 10 good quality, dark green and wrinkled peas.

Spring – 52-57 days. A very early variety, developed for commercial freezing. The Spring Garden Pea sets 5-7 pods each plant, with 3 in. pods bearing 6-8 medium-sized peas. Dark-green, wrinkled peas are of excellent quality. Plants are fast growing and reach about 18-22". Disease Resistance: Fusarium Wilt (Race 1).

Spanish Sky Scraper – 91 days. Best for its peas where the pods are short and the peas inside are large. The yield is heavy, with 6 to 7ft tall vines. Pods are 2 1/2 – 3 ” long, with 6 to 8 peas within. Flowers are white. Dried pods are super smooth, and moderately easy to shell. Seeds are semi-wrinkled. Disease resistant.

Alderman or Tall Telephone Shell Pea – 85 days. Long vines reach up to 6 feet with support, and large pods yield 8-10 peas each. The peas are large in size, being sweet and tender. This popular garden favorite was introduced in 1881 and is still a standard with many. A late-maturing variety.

Early Onward – English pea. A heavy cropping second early. Excellent flavor and very sweet.

Beagle (or Hurst Beagle) – English pea. The earliest wrinkled variety. Blunt ended pods, eight peas per pod.

Tom Thumb – (aka Thomb Thumb, aka Pois Nain Hatif ) Pre-1800’s from Europe. A frame-pea, grown in olden times in cold frames for extra early production. An adorable little dwarf, growing only to 10” tall. Production began from ground level right to the top. Perfect for small spaces and an excellent container grower. Pods contain 5-7 peas which are rather large compared to most other early frame varieties. Dried pods were super smooth, flattish and easy to shell. Seeds were green and quite wrinkled.

Large Manitoba – more dwarf than Tom Thumb…a mere 9” tall, but the leaves and the pods of the plants are gigantic (4″ x 1″) compared to its height. Dry pea seeds are large, wrinkled and green. A definite early dwarf bush variety. Rare.

Hurst Green Shaft - A popular UK heirloom, it is vigorous and reliable, with 10 peas per pod. Resistance to downy mildew and fusarium wilt. One of the tastiest with exceptional sweet flavor. Shell type. It crops heavily towards the tops of the plants (so picking is easy). 12-16 weeks from initial sowing.

Sugar Snap “Lace” – A semi-leafless snap pea with moderately long string-less pods, mildew resistant. 18″ tall plants (with white flowers) produce tons of tendrils that fasten to anything in sight. Pods, once dried, become wrinkled and tough to shell, offering 4 to 5 seeds per. Best used as a fresh veggie.

Oregon Giant Sugar Pod – Semi-wrinkled seed lacks the bitterness associated with some edible podded varieties so you can safely pick these a little plumper and more mature.

Last edited by Aerial; January 5, 2016 at 05:21 AM.
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #3
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

For you two "peas in a pod",

I'll be posting a list of peas in the bean swap thread, hopefully in a day or so. About 50 varieties have come in so far.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #4
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Ariel, are you growing all those this year? Great selection!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #5
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
For you two "peas in a pod",

I'll be posting a list of peas in the bean swap thread, hopefully in a day or so. About 50 varieties have come in so far.
Ohhhhhh, now I am telling the tomato seeds they may get new friends and they are happy about that.

Do you still have my prepaid label? Ohhhh, more fun!

Aerial, that is a great list- I found a irish source for some, seedaddict, and I am still so ticked off at Thompson and Morgan as I wanted to order from them, but can't use the USA site ( it is no good) and can't use the international site as it doesn't list the USA as a country, plus the international site was having a terrific sale, too!
Old January 5, 2016   #6
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

imp, don't forget Seekay for the English varieties..

http://seekay.co.uk/peas-128-c.asp

PhilaGardener, the eyes and the heart are always bigger than the garden but I might try...
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #7
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
imp, don't forget Seekay for the English varieties..

http://seekay.co.uk/peas-128-c.asp

PhilaGardener, the eyes and the heart are always bigger than the garden but I might try...
Ahh, good for information, but they only sell in the UK.
Old March 20, 2016   #8
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Hi again Imp, you just offered me seeds and then I see this post. I have peas seeds, they are not recent but I think they may be OK and I have a few wrinkled ones among them. Some came from the UK so I am happy to share if you are still looking.

These are the UK imported ones I have.

Douce Provence bush.. dated 2012 Nicky's seed and they send to me in Canada

Hurst gGreen Shaft bush dated sow by 2014.. Thompson and Morgan

Alderman very tall growing. these in date I think I bought them last year from West Coast seeds here in Canada but they are an old UK variety

Champion of England very tall growing from The Real Seed Company and they send to me

There are several companies in the Uk that will ship..if you wish I can find my list.

You are welcome to any of the above.

I need to order a few things from Real seeds myself , they are a small but very dedicated company..

Let me know XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #9
LDiane

Jeannine,

When I looked on the Real Seed website, it said they would not ship out of Europe.

Diane
Old March 21, 2016   #10
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I have just looked and you are right. They have sent to me though here in Canada. I have sent them a e mail and will let you know what they say, maybe there system won't do it but they have another way.

I will get back when I know.

Meantime Nicky's Nursery will ship and I will dig out my list of others and pop that on as soon as I can

XX Jeannine
Old March 21, 2016   #11
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Hi I have just received a e mail from them in which they say they no longer ship outside of the EU. Sad but in the beginning when they were new and we all bought from them they shipped but now I guess they don't need the business anymore.. so sorry. I still think DT Brown may ship though XX Jeannine
Old March 21, 2016   #12
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

The best for me is an old Dutch variety Kelvedon Wonder. Each year I sucking successively about 1 kg seed. Just I do not know how it would turn out, if I sent some seeds.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #13
LDiane

Jim Ternier offers 41 kinds of peas:

http://prseeds.ca/seed_categories/peas/
Old March 23, 2016   #14
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
Tom Thumb – (aka Thomb Thumb, aka Pois Nain Hatif ) Pre-1800’s from Europe. A frame-pea, grown in olden times in cold frames for extra early production. An adorable little dwarf, growing only to 10” tall. Production began from ground level right to the top. Perfect for small spaces and an excellent container grower. Pods contain 5-7 peas which are
rather large compared to most other early frame varieties. Dried pods were super smooth, flattish and easy to shell. Seeds were green and quite wrinkled.
Sorry, but Tom Thumb seeds are NOT green or wrinkled. They are round, smooth and white (or maybe yellow). Tom Thumb is an interesting one though because it is an "extra dwarf" pea or like i like to call it a super dwarf. In my experience never growing taller than 6".

Mighty Midget is another extra dwarf variety that does have large green wrinkled seeds unlike Tom Thumb.
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote