Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 22, 2023   #16
Alfisol
Tomatovillian™

My list has changed as I, unfortunately, ended up not having access to Aunt Ginnys purple... I limited myself to Victory and Sandhill so my final list (of non-processing types) is: Terhune , Stump, Prudens Purple, Bear Creek, Cherokee Purple Heart... I have Brandywine SS seeds but i don't have room for it without dropping something.
Old February 22, 2023   #17
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaClay View Post
I'm not PaulF, but I hope you don't mind the question....Do you mean this tomato as described at Sandhill Preservation, or a different one?
Lynwood. Mid-season, Indeterminate, Regular Leaf, round 2 inch bright red fruits, huge yields that produce until killing frost. Old-time variety from Virginia, named after the almost abandoned town of Lynwood on the Shenandoah River.
What do you like about it? As a Virginian, I'm always curious about Virginia varieties.

Yes, that is the correct tomato. It was originally offered by Chuck Wyatt along with a story of how he obtained seed from a relative's stash. Lynnwood is a superb flavored medium size red tomato with a penchant for producing heavy loads of fruit. If I had to pick 3 tomatoes to grow and only those three, Lynnwood would be there. It is not just flavor. The overall package is a healthy productive good flavored tomato that is easy to care for. It is adaptable to a range of locations.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2023   #18
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

I already had two spots reserved for Lynwood. After that review I might add another one. I got my seeds from Sand Hill Preservation. They are the only ones that have them to my knowledge. I ordered a bunch of tomatoes from them and then made another order and bought a lot of beans and melons and other vegetables. Then I got really interested in all the Sweet Potatoes they have and now adding more sweet potato varieties. My opinion, Sand Hill is the best Heirloom site anywhere.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2023   #19
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Sand Hill does amazing work, although I have never obtained tomato seed from them. They have been my source for poultry, sweet potatoes, and Egyptian onions.
DK2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2023   #20
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Yes, that is the correct tomato. It was originally offered by Chuck Wyatt along with a story of how he obtained seed from a relative's stash. Lynnwood is a superb flavored medium size red tomato with a penchant for producing heavy loads of fruit. If I had to pick 3 tomatoes to grow and only those three, Lynnwood would be there. It is not just flavor. The overall package is a healthy productive good flavored tomato that is easy to care for. It is adaptable to a range of locations.
Sounds like a good one, thanks! I'll pick it up next time I place a Sandhill order.
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2023   #21
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2021 View Post
Sand Hill does amazing work, although I have never obtained tomato seed from them. They have been my source for poultry, sweet potatoes, and Egyptian onions.

And I forgot to mention, thinking about raising a few chickens too ( for eggs ), thanks to Sand Hill. Not this year though. Hard to believe they can survive FEDEX or UPS
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2023   #22
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Here is Chuck Wyatt's blurb about Lynnwood:

Lynnwood (80 days)Indet. Reg. leaf, red - 80 days. This the tomato, grown by my cousin, Sam Lewis, in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, and the one that kept me looking for its flavor for 30 years before I "discovered" the heirlooms. When Sam sold the farm some of his seed was found in the barn and I planted some of it out of nostalgia. Lo and behold, I re discovered that flavor I remembered from childhood. It had been right there on Avonfeld Farm in Lynnwood and I had never thought to speak to Sam about it!
Old February 24, 2023   #23
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Thought I had my tomatoes all worked out months ago but here I am, ordering a packet of Lynnwood....
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2023   #24
Alfisol
Tomatovillian™

How does Lynnwood compare to something like Break o Day or Livingston's Favorite?
Old February 24, 2023   #25
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

My very first heirloom seed purchase was from Chuck Wyatt. I even called him and was able to talk to Chuck about some choices for a beginning heirloom tomato grower. Even after all these years I still have some of those initial varieties in my seed inventory. Not the original seeds but a couple of generations removed by saving seeds.

After growing boy, girls, betters and bests for twenty years, Chuck gave me a list of good tomatoes to try: Black Krim, Caspian Pink, Cherokee Purple, Amish Purple, Old Flame and Abe Lincoln and because there was only room for six plants one of the others suggested, Lynnwood, was not planted. After that first year I changed gardening spaces and grew several of the tomatoes Chuck Wyatt was famous for. But Lynnwood never made it for some unknown reason

Now after 25 years and more than 500 different varieties (maybe even more) it is time to add Lynwood to the list. Thanks Darrell.
Old February 24, 2023   #26
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I have a similar story with regard to Chuck Wyatt. He was the first place I ordered heirlooms.

And I just ordered Lynwood from Sandhill yesterday..
Old February 24, 2023   #27
MissS
Tomatovillian™

It's a bit funny. I hadn't heard much of Lynnwood and was intrigued so I purchased it this year too.
Old February 24, 2023   #28
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

I think that I'll give it a try as well.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2023   #29
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
And I forgot to mention, thinking about raising a few chickens too ( for eggs ), thanks to Sand Hill. Not this year though. Hard to believe they can survive FEDEX or UPS

Amazingly enough, they do. They have enough nutrients from the last of the yolk when they hatch to keep going for a little while, and there is always a minimum number of chicks to keep the group of them warm during shipment. I've only ever received chicks shipped by USPS, and you have to pick them up at your post office, or at least that is what I've had to do.

Raising hens for your own eggs doesn't really save money, at least in the short term, but they're entertaining, and if managed well will do their part in weeding and insect control. Some breeds are particularly friendly and make good pets. And of course, you'll be forever spoiled as far as fresh eggs go! I don't keep hens at the moment as I do too much travel and would be reluctant to leave a coop unattended for more than a day as we have coyotes, foxes, and bobcats where I live.
DK2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2023   #30
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisol View Post
How does Lynnwood compare to something like Break o Day or Livingston's Favorite?

Lynnwood has hands down better flavor than Break o Day, better overall production than Livingston's Favorite.