Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 5, 2013   #316
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
We say on our website (and verbally when asked) that "we use organic methods to grow our fruits and seeds, but we are NOT certified organic". Therefore, we cannot put 'organic' on our seed labels, that would be a violation.

Not sure how this works in the case when someone buys certified organic seeds in bulk from another vendor and then repackages and resells - would they be able to put 'certified organic' on the label or into their catalog? And what would the proof be?
Tatiana, My site has similar wording as yours about my own saved seed.
If you buy wholesale organic seed, you can advertise it as such. The proof is in your payment of bills to the vendor that you purchased from.
I try to get as many veggies as I can that I can not possibly save seed from(or not enough to supply the orders) certified organic. I don't list them as such because of the possibility of errors when changing seed lots as organic is not always available. I do let people know they can contact me at the time of purchase to check to see if the seed is certified organic.

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2013   #317
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Makes sense Remy - thank you!

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2013   #318
Calcat36
Tomatovillian™

I would imagine that seeds, like anything else resold as "organic" would fall under the original source for proof and documentation. Examples: Produce sold in a local grocery store (reseller) carries the tag of the "organic" farm it was grown on and should be labelled as such. That goes for "organic" bottled/canned/baked/frozen, etc goods as well.

As long as the reseller discloses the SOURCE of the "organic" seed, any misrepresentation is the fault of the original PROVIDER. So, the reseller, before buying seeds or any other product labelled "organic" should be provided with proper documentation to their satisfaction before deciding to resell in his/her "business!"

Personally, I do not believe the organic hype. Simply because of the water that gives life to everything. Rain water has the '80's stigma of "acid rain" so, unless the plants are provided distilled and sterile water, grown in a sterile environment, true "organic" cannot be achieved due to many environmental impurities. Including air! We are told that we are horrible air polluters! And isn't Carbon Dioxide a "green house gas" that will kill all of us? Yet plants thrive on it and convert it into.... OXYGEN! And how do you know the "organic" fertilizers used to grow crops, (I use fish ferts) are truly organic? There is a HUGE mercury in seafood threat out there due to our polluted oceans, so we are told.

GMO's on the other hand.... NO WAY! But the problem here is with the vendor who would never disclose where he got what from and misrepresents his/her product for financial gain. I'm sure I'll take some heat for this post, but it is just my humble two cents.
Calcat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2013   #319
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcat36 View Post

Personally, I do not believe the organic hype. Simply because of the water that gives life to everything. Rain water has the '80's stigma of "acid rain" so, unless the plants are provided distilled and sterile water, grown in a sterile environment, true "organic" cannot be achieved due to many environmental impurities. Including air! We are told that we are horrible air polluters! And isn't Carbon Dioxide a "green house gas" that will kill all of us? Yet plants thrive on it and convert it into.... OXYGEN! And how do you know the "organic" fertilizers used to grow crops, (I use fish ferts) are truly organic? There is a HUGE mercury in seafood threat out there due to our polluted oceans, so we are told.

GMO's on the other hand.... NO WAY! But the problem here is with the vendor who would never disclose where he got what from and misrepresents his/her product for financial gain. I'm sure I'll take some heat for this post, but it is just my humble two cents.

I am the exact opposite as you actually. I grow everything as organic as possible and while I can't stop pollution, at least I know I am not adding to the problem.

I don't use GMO's either, but theoretically in some future date, if someone actually made a safe GMO that actually was useful and managed to get it approved for organic farming. Then sure I would use it. Right now it seems most GMO's are just made to prop up a failing conventional AG model. They are meaningless to the way I grow. Why would I need a glyphosate resistant mutagen crop that lets me use round-up, when organic growers don't use herbicides anyway? Why would I grow a Bt transgenic, when I can use the real Bacillus thuringiensis?

I am not completely convinced GMO's are safe, but I am pretty sure at the rate technology is growing, one day they will be completely safe. But right now? Who cares? Not me. Nothing GMO's can offer me right now. Certainly not until they become so common and safe that they get developed and approved for organic farming. I don't see that happening any time soon.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; January 6, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2013   #320
LBchilehead
Tomatovillian™

The First Amendment gives us the right to free speech... proud to be an American ....

Last edited by LBchilehead; January 17, 2013 at 01:18 AM.
LBchilehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2013   #321
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default The content of the emails makes a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysWoodPile View Post
I would just like to point out the double-standard I see throughout this thread. Everybody is given carte blanche to trash Penny & Pepper Joe but when it comes to them e-mailing others then their right to free speech goes out the window.
Unless you are privy to the contents of the emails, like some are, the "freedom of speech argument" goes out the window. Threatening lawsuits, name calling, late night phone calls, defamation, cyberbullying, harassment all come into the fray here.

And for your info those are against FEDERAL law. Plenty of info on the web about using the internet and phone communications as a instrument to harass, bully etc.http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/223

Last edited by kurt; January 17, 2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/223
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2013   #322
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Be advised that anyone thinking about making a purchase from Marianna's site should know that Dean Slater has access to all of her customers' names and home addresses.

He's been giving Joe Arditi the real names and home addresses of Tomatoville members that have posted in this thread. He gave them to Joe as a Christmas present and Joe gave them to an attorney named Angie Denean Knight, to send our members threatening letters. Additionally, Joe has harassed them by using their personal info to obtain their phone numbers and then calling their homes.

Below are screenshots from their Facebook page - see for yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg facebook12_25.jpeg (153.0 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpeg Facebook12_12.jpeg (217.0 KB, 204 views)

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2013   #323
Mischka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contact Us Inbox
--------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Saturday, January 19, 2013
Subject: Tomatoville® Gardening Forums Contact Us Form - threatening phone calls from Joe Arditi
To: webmaster@tomatoville.com

The following message was sent to you via the Tomatoville® Gardening Forums Contact Us form by [name and email address redacted]

--------------------------------

I am writing in regards to a letter I received from an attorney for Joe Arditi.
The letter states that I have made statements on this website regarding this man.

Problem is I am not the person responsible for any of the comments under the name [Tomatoville username]. I did not know this site existed until my daughter did some detective work. I have had numerous phone calls from Mr. Arditi telling me he knows I am this person because my name is [name redacted] and I live in [redacted]. He has my daughter's name as well as my ex-husband's name. He has stated he is "serving me papers", also threatens to have me appear in court in SC, has been calling my home at all hours of the day and night repeatedly. I have called the police twice about this man and have called his attorney twice to no avail. I am forced to change my phone number to prevent him from calling.

If the person who is [Tomatoville username] could help in this matter it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you [name redacted]

--------------------------------

can keep my spirit

Old January 19, 2013   #324
LBchilehead
Tomatovillian™

like i said so many times before...i dont want to get invloved. I am crying all time because of it. this is affecting my quaility of life. When my husband hugs me at night and tells me "I love you but I never saw you like this". I moving to mexico... thank you mexican government.
Old January 19, 2013   #325
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

My best guess is Pepper Joe is a drunken old has been (or perhaps just a drunken old "always wanted to be") who is trying to exert his "manly manpower." ( If only he actually had some.) Adults in their right mind just don't behave like this.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2013   #326
LBchilehead
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBchilehead View Post
The First Amendment gives us the right to free speech... proud to be an American ....
-------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^------ this is a known fact its found in the Bill of Rights- its an actual fact. proud to be american is an opinion should be felt by all. IMHO. This stuff is geeting out of hand.

i took my post down ....some how it got posted back in the same place. I an not infriging on anyone's stuff ....but i did not cast the first stone.... i did not seek out anyone to hurt anyone or any business entity.
I have asked to have this stuff taken down because i dont want have any more problems. Since then i am having serious thoughs of hurting myself and sliting my wrist to end all of my troubles. I serious problems in my life right now.
i did nothing wrong plus i really have no money. I have like 75k in federal student debt and on the brink of default ...so the feds will get 25% of my paycheck first .....when i get a job and my husbands unemployment runs out. I am not looking to hop on any bandwagon of hate or to hurt anyone.

Last edited by LBchilehead; January 19, 2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old January 19, 2013   #327
surf4grrl
Tomatovillian™

Well, Lance Armstrong swore for years he never doped. He bullied, intimidated, lied - you name it. Another narcissist - lo and behold he finally comes clean after being shown for the cowardly liar and cheat he is. Lance Armstrong is barely human - just a caricature he fabricates. & truly, how sad.

Sound familiar?

Stick to your truth, you did nothing wrong. No amount of bullying can change the truth.

I have lost complete respect for those responsible for giving out personal info and erroneously i might add. Well, smart they sure ain't.
surf4grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2013   #328
surf4grrl
Tomatovillian™

Oh, someone send my post to Lance Armstrong - he might want to sue surf4grrl - hahahahaha.
surf4grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2013   #329
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

LBchilehead,
I'm not sure what is going on, but I don't like reading that you are contemplating hurting yourself! If you are getting threatening messages or something, don't let it get to you.
I'm sorry you are in such financial difficulties, and I hope things turn around for you and you family.
Please please talk to someone there at home about how you are feeling.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop

Last edited by remy; January 19, 2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: typo
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2013   #330
Mischka

Keep on a-huffin' and a-puffin', Joe Arditi... lest ye climb down my chimney.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg caller_id_1_10.jpg (179.8 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg caller_id_1_18.jpg (319.5 KB, 204 views)

can keep my spirit

Tags
carolina reaper , deceitful , dishonest , joe arditi , lies , opinions , penny mohney , penny's tomatoes , pepper joe's , photo theft , reviews , untrustworthy