Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old September 13, 2009   #16
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Mischka:
Updates are in the works at this moment. What I didn't show in photos before is the way that I'm currently starting my seeds. I'll have more photos loaded shortly.

Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
Any updates yet?
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2009   #17
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

I decided that I might be better understood if I backtrack just a little and added new photos. So here goes.

When I tried this for the first time last year, I wasn't successful on my first attempt. Thinking that I was doing the right thing for starting seeds, I used a either a small cube of rockwool or one of the formed peat inserts made for hydroponics I applied seed and place one of these inserts in each of the net pots. Equalizing the moisture was a tremendous problem for me. Either my seedlings dried out or they rotted to mush. I also didn't like the idea of having the rockwool around my young seedlings when they were planted outdoors because of all the algae that accumulated.

I found a way around this problem by planting the seeds bare in each of the net pots. I use a small square of cheesecloth for the roots to attach to and also to keep the seeds from falling out. Look to the back and you can see one of the seeds that didn't germinate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seedNnet.JPG (148.4 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by bigbubbacain; September 13, 2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: more info
Old September 13, 2009   #18
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Here's a better photo of the seedlings and also of the roots. I started these seeds on 9/1/09
Old September 13, 2009   #19
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Oops! Forgot to upload. Here are roots and seedlings started on 9/01/09
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seedlings.jpg (87.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 1stRoots.JPG (124.6 KB, 72 views)
Old September 13, 2009   #20
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

I'll add more photos as they progress. Also, I thought I would journal the progress of a bare root cutting because I love to watch how quickly a cutting sets roots. In the photo is a Black Cherry cutting at the leaf node. I'll put a neoprene collar around the stem and into a net pot. On this particular net pot, the bottom is cut out in order to create room for the roots to fall below. I also use these "bottomless" net pots and neoprene collars for seedlings when they are older.
Old September 13, 2009   #21
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Sorry for forgetting to upload. Doggonit!
Old September 13, 2009   #22
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Ok. Here's Black Cherry. These are the "Before" photos. It's astounding to me how quickly this will root!

One thing I should mention: The ultrasonic fogger is a little tricky. It requires weekly cleaning, which I do when I change the nutrient solution. One fogger is sufficient for using a 5 gallon pail, but I use 2 foggers for the larger Rubbermaid tub. As for nutrients, I personally recommend the FloraNova line by General Hydroponics. It's highly soluble, pre buffered, and leaves less salt buildup behind. This makes life easier for the seedlings and me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg freshcut.jpg (128.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg cuttingNplace.jpg (62.5 KB, 61 views)
Old September 14, 2009   #23
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Very interesting piece of information which is now made me want to know more. Seems that the cannabis club makes use of this ... Learning more on this site and always looking for ways to stimulate root development of plants. Great work

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2009   #24
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

George:

I imagine it would do well for that application also. Reminds me of the old joke I used to hear from people about growing "hemp". People would say: "yeah man, it's easy to grow. Just pretend it's a tomato." I always wondered if it was true whether or nor the two had the same requirements for growing conditions.

I will say this aeroponics (or at least about my contraption): tomato cuttings are tricky. If they're too young or too tender, they won't take root. The 'Black Cherry' cutting in the photo of my earlier post didn't make it. I'll do this again later in the season with one of my dwarf plants.
Old September 25, 2009   #25
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Here's the latest photos. I transferred some of these to 4 inch pots after taking the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1005.JPG (86.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1003.JPG (75.7 KB, 47 views)
Old October 15, 2009   #26
Frog
Tomatovillian™

Loving your experiment here, look forward to your next round of updates.
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2009   #27
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately, the plants are now in place in my greenhouse. I'm going to update this again for starting my spring plants. I've got a new idea for the seeds.
Old December 31, 2009   #28
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

I had a chance to make some changes in my procedure for starting seeds. I'll be posting all my changes in a new thread tomorrow titled "aeroponics trial thread #3".

As always, I start my seedlings on New Year's Day for good luck!