Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 18, 2017   #1
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Default Seed Wise

https://www.seedwise.com/

Stumbled onto this site from OSSI breeders page.

From there "about us page"

SeedWise is a marketplace enabling seed farmers to sell directly to home gardeners, giving a greater level of choice to the customer and higher income to the farmer. Gardeners can find growers in their bio-region, selecting heirloom seeds or drought tolerant varieties of their favorite crops. Gardeners can plant with confidence, knowing exactly where their seeds were grown; the names and faces of those farmers, and the heritage of the breed.

Just like your local Farmer's Market, SeedWise provides the chance to connect, learn and build resilience in communities across the country.

We see a world of small-scale farmers being the backbone of our food supply.

We dream of 1000s of unique varieties of our favorite fruits and vegetables.

We dream of gardens growing in place of front-lawns.

Know your Farmer, Know your Seed.

I like that they have varieties not available commercially that fare well in specific regions. Very important for us Southern growers.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

This is what Ellen, Steve, and myself are trying to do at HeritageSeedMarket.com. We have begun the expansion to include seeds other than tomato. Currently you can select from Florida, California, and Northeast Tennessee climates.

I agree with you, Van. This may be the way of the future to get seeds that have a better chance of doing well in your local climate.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017   #3
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm, the site puzzles me in that all you need to do is sign up, sell your seed and collect money ... no mention of individual State laws required to do this legally. It has got my curiosity up enough to contact my State Ag Dept to find out when/if laws apply to an average grower/seller and at what point it is considered a business where the laws apply. My interpretation of the laws were that they applied to anyone and everyone selling seed no matter the quantity.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017   #4
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
This is what Ellen, Steve, and myself are trying to do at HeritageSeedMarket.com. We have begun the expansion to include seeds other than tomato. Currently you can select from Florida, California, and Northeast Tennessee climates.

I agree with you, Van. This may be the way of the future to get seeds that have a better chance of doing well in your local climate.
Send me a PM if you need someone from South Louisiana, I grow almost everything.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote