Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 22, 2013   #16
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Chadwick's Cherry

I am really impressed with this one. I love the flavor. I'll grow it again, and give it a nice spot in the garden. It was kind of an afterthought (I was offered a plant after the main garden was planted) and is in a rather small pot on my front deck. Really nice acid/sweet balance and rich tasting! YUM!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChadwicksCherry07-08.jpg (191.8 KB, 22 views)
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2013   #17
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Whippersnapper

I was trying this one to see if it would be a contender to grow inside in the Winter. It's not a candidate for a gallon pot like a micro-dwarf, but I might try it in my south-facing window... It's tart not much sweetness, but the taste is good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whippersnapper06-10.jpg (169.9 KB, 18 views)
Old July 22, 2013   #18
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB View Post
I got a plant directly from Brad Gates of Wild Boar Farms when he came over to do a talk at a local nursery. I couldn't find a photo, and didn't know what they were supposed to look like, so kept picking them too early and they tasted awful. Finally, I just left the plant alone and stopped thinking about it much. About a week ago, I looked up inside the plant and saw a cluster of nearly translucent fruit with a purple blush. This time, they are really sweet and tasty!
It is candy-looking like. Robin, nice tomatoes. Keep on posting.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2013   #19
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Blue Boar Berries

The other plant I bought when Brad from Wild Boar Farms came over. The plant looks a lot like Mini Yellow -- everything about it is small including the fruit. It looks to be indeterminate, and I'd be surprised if it ends up more than 4' tall. The fruit is about the same size as MY too. I can't take a photo of the two together because I just ate the BBB. Couldn't help myself. The taste is amazing! I picked a few on July 6 (68 DTM), but didn't photograph them. Since then, I've been stalking the plant watching for more. It was a long wait. The plant has been having an aphid problem, but they are more under control and it's loading up with fruit now. This is a tomato that can haunt your dreams in Winter! A great balance of sweet and acid. Oh MY!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlueBoarBerries.jpg (232.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg BBB-closeup.jpg (266.3 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by RobinB; July 22, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old July 22, 2013   #20
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Brazilian Beauty

I got the seeds from Heather's big swap last year. Picked the first one two days ago (July 20, 88 days). This one was a bit slow to start producing fruit, but it's got quite a few now. It doesn't look like the plant is going to be monsterous, 4-5' maybe? It's not been tasted yet, probably today for lunch.

Edit: I tasted this one and I'm not impressed. It was just the first one, so hopefully it will improve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrazilianBeauty.jpg (239.0 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by RobinB; July 23, 2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old July 22, 2013   #21
Rideau Rambler
Tomatovillian™

Hey Scott, as someone living in a bilingual region, I'm just happy when the first name Jaune is spelled correctly, instead of the all-to-common Juane Never mind the number of e's and accents, lol. Alas, my plant is quickly being taken down by blight so Robin's pic is the closest I'll get to one.

Can't wait for my Chadwicks to ripen, yours looked delicious Robin!
Rideau Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2013   #22
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Ananas Noir

I just realized that I didn't post a photo of this one. I'm really surprised and pleased that I could pull this one off. It got planted out in mid-April inside a Wall O'Water. Sometimes this helps and sometimes it doesn't. With Ananas Noir, it definitely helped, as it started forming fruit down inside the WOW almost immediately. The first two ripened on July 19 (89 days). One weighed 14.7 oz. and the other 12 oz. I doubt I could have pulled this one off without a WOW. The plant has quite a few greenies on it now, too. I haven't cut either yet, as they were picked early, but BLTs are on the menu tonight! I didn't know it would turn such a gorgeous shade of red! Taste test to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AnanasNoir07-19.jpg (205.2 KB, 35 views)
Old July 22, 2013   #23
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Fish Lake Oxheart, Maya & Sion's Airdrie Classic, Japanese Black Trifele, and Pervaya Lyubov are all blushing. It's starting to rain tomatoes! Woo Hoo!
Old July 22, 2013   #24
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I just realized that I didn't post a photo of this one. I'm really surprised and pleased that I could pull this one off. It got planted out in mid-April inside a Wall O'Water. Sometimes this helps and sometimes it doesn't. With Ananas Noir, it definitely helped, as it started forming fruit down inside the WOW almost immediately. The first two ripened on July 19 (89 days). One weighed 14.7 oz. and the other 12 oz. I doubt I could have pulled this one off without a WOW. The plant has quite a few greenies on it now, too. I haven't cut either yet, as they were picked early, but BLTs are on the menu tonight! I didn't know it would turn such a gorgeous shade of red! Taste test to come.
Get us a picture of this one sliced. Ananas Noir has to be one of the prettiest tomatoes when sliced.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2013   #25
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hello, RobinB, happy for you. Nice size Black Pineapple/Ananas Noir tomato. It improves with time. It does like high temperature and water. I grew one last year. It was a monster in production: 2 lb, 1 lb 8 oz, 1 lb 4 oz, 1 lb 3 oz, 1 lb 2 oz, two 13 oz, and more on the smaller size. That was from one plant. They are great in fresh salsa. Enjoy. Very sweet tomato.

Old July 23, 2013   #26
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Your tomatoes look great this year! and your son is such a cutie.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #27
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Robin, I love this thread. You and Kath are awesome! Great photography and I love using your hand as a size perspective. Thanks for doing this, I know I will be referring back to this come winter when our tomatoes start to come in. I can't wait till August so I can start seeds!

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #28
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Ananas Noir cut

OMG! I have never grown this, but it is now on my "must grow every year" list. The taste was at least a 9/10. I've got a new favorite this year. Malachite Box is now been bumped down to #2. Not only was it tolerant of cold Spring temps inside a Wall O'Water, but it is now putting on lots of fruit. I've got it growing against an 8' tall piece of concrete wire mesh and I've been weaving it in and out of the squares. Since I picked the two large fruit, it is now putting all its energy into blossoming and fruiting. Oh my!

Here's a photo of the largest fruit cut. Beauty combined with amazing taste!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AnanasNoir-cut.jpg (253.3 KB, 44 views)
Old July 23, 2013   #29
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
OMG! I have never grown this, but it is now on my "must grow every year" list. The taste was at least a 9/10. I've got a new favorite this year. Malachite Box is now been bumped down to #2. Not only was it tolerant of cold Spring temps inside a Wall O'Water, but it is now putting on lots of fruit. I've got it growing against an 8' tall piece of concrete wire mesh and I've been weaving it in and out of the squares. Since I picked the two large fruit, it is now putting all its energy into blossoming and fruiting. Oh my!

Here's a photo of the largest fruit cut. Beauty combined with amazing taste!
O, I miss it. Last year just one plant overwhelmed me. I did not know what to do with so many huge toms. I did not plant it this year. I am sorry, I did not. Should have.
RobinB, enjoy. It looks soooo good.

Old July 28, 2013   #30
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Fish Lake Oxheart

This one didn't ripen evenly, but I had to pick it early because it was splitting. It ripened almost completely on the counter. The taste was really rich and full! I look forward to the next one. This particular one weighed 14.3 oz. and was picked on July 23.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FishLakeOxheart.jpg (259.6 KB, 30 views)