Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 21, 2017   #16
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

I picked up some of this on sale (just a pint) to mix up. Never tried it before, but knowing I was low in N, thought I would give it a spin.

I'm really bad (but learning) on the ratio's and what's good on the marketplace. It's hard to separate the hoopla and colorful label claims and pictures.

In years past, I always just top dressed with compost - which did well. But did not do this year, partially do to laziness.

Has anybody used this stuff before? Had "glowing" reviews. LOL
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #17
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

rockman, i was planning on planting 1rst week in may? i do remember last year having to cover up for a frost but i did not keep records so i don't remember when i planted
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #18
rockman
Tomatovillian™

As the planting rule for our area May 15th is our last frost, so if you plant May 5th and your seeds take 10 days to germinate your good. It's hard to wait till mid may to plant plants when we have had 80 degree weather already. rockman
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post

I picked up some of this on sale (just a pint) to mix up. Never tried it before, but knowing I was low in N, thought I would give it a spin.

I'm really bad (but learning) on the ratio's and what's good on the marketplace. It's hard to separate the hoopla and colorful label claims and pictures.

In years past, I always just top dressed with compost - which did well. But did not do this year, partially do to laziness.

Has anybody used this stuff before? Had "glowing" reviews. LOL
I'm sure it will work great from what I see it is made out of.
Be prepared to see your plants explode.

I will stick with Alaska fish fertilizer because I have it if for no other reason.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #20
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I just bought a 50lb. bag of 100% alfalfa pellets at a feed store today for $14.Plan on making a tea and feeding my tomato and pepper plants when I plant them at the end of May.My cereal rye and hairy vetch right now is over 2 feet tall.I'm going to mow it down this week and then plant right into it around memorial day .Going no till 2nd year in a row.Might do the tea feeding every 2 weeks,will see how my plants are growing.First time using Alfalfa pellets.Have been using cotton seed meal the last 2 years.

Last edited by cjp1953; April 22, 2017 at 09:20 PM.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #21
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Alfalfa is very high in nutrients, which is great. You might also consider adding a bit of compost and unsulphured molasses to the tea, to cultivate beneficial bacteria as well.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #22
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I was just reading up on ways to make alfalfa tea and seen that mentioned.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #23
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

rockman, i was planning on putting out my plants on the 5th, guess i will have to wait which will require repotting
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #24
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I add cottonseed meal and alfalfa pellets along with some homemade compost and chicken manure when preparing my soil. I then use Texas Tomato Food as a supplement every 7 to 10 days and adjust the amount according to how my plants are doing. This year for the first time I am adding peat and pine bark fines to my soil as it has gotten too sandy and needs more structure. I am afraid to add any more cow or horse manure since my P levels are too high. My K levels were too low a few years ago and I added a good bit of greensand and it helped both production and taste of my tomatoes.

Heading to Lowes to pick up some more peat and pine bark fines for my three smaller beds which have become particularly sandy. Last year keeping them watered was a chore and I'm hoping the addition of those two things will help maintain better moisture levels. I will add a little extra nitrogen when I till them in along with my usual amendments; but I am out of compost so none of that this summer for those three beds so I guess I'll add even more peat.

I know that adding too much peat and pine bark fines might lower my ph which I hope it will since my beds are too alkaline. I will check the ph a few weeks from now and see if it made any difference.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote