Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 14, 2011   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Fedco's WOW Cherry

Okay, got it right now. Here's two pixs of the new Fedco Cherry. I'll comment later on the taste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WOW1.JPG (543.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg WOW2.JPG (316.4 KB, 66 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; July 17, 2011 at 03:29 PM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #2
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Interesting!!!!

>DDF<
Old July 14, 2011   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

I'm also trying WOW this season and will be sure to let it get good and ripe before I try it. None have started to blush yet but I've been enjoying Sungolds since June.

Just curious as to how high you rate Sungold.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2011   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

For me, Sungold, Cherokee Purple, and Brandywine are the "gold standards" of taste. I rate these three as the "magical" 9.5 on the scale. Rating them at 9.5 leaves the possibility that one day I might see something just a bit better. However, you have to catch all of them at just the right moment for the taste to be at its peak. Any tomato has the capability of producing one or more fruit that hits the pinnacle for that variety. What I keep looking for it the variety that doesn't produce even one tomato that rates less than 6.0.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old July 15, 2011   #5
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
For me, Sungold, Cherokee Purple, and Brandywine are the "gold standards" of taste. I rate these three as the "magical" 9.5 on the scale. Rating them at 9.5 leaves the possibility that one day I might see something just a bit better. However, you have to catch all of them at just the right moment for the taste to be at its peak. Any tomato has the capability of producing one or more fruit that hits the pinnacle for that variety. What I keep looking for it the variety that doesn't produce even one tomato that rates less than 6.0.
Thanks, Ted- this is very helpful. Sungold is just such a great tomato for me- they rarely make it into the house, but I love every one of them. Last year JD's Special C-Tex was my favorite dark out of the many that I grew- Cherokee Purple included. It and Sungold were the only two varieties to make it back this year and while the Sungolds are divine as always, the first two JD's have been a disappointment- kind of mealy. Maybe they were just overripe. Anyway, it's interesting to hear that you find that the fruits on any given plant can vary that much in quality.
Old July 15, 2011   #6
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
I agree with your "gold standards" but have to add Purple Haze it's one of the few tomatoes that I eat right there in the garden.
Sunsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2011   #7
owiebrain
Tomatovillian™

I tried my first WOW a couple of days ago. I had to beat a tomato-crazed toddler to it and it was very worth it. It's better than any of the other 11 varieties of cherry toms I'm growing this year, including Black Cherry, Sungold, and Sweet Treats (our previous top three faves).

CrackpotHippie.com
owiebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2011   #8
roamwhereiwant2
Tomatovillian™

Here in Georgia, I've knick-named it the Meh cherry. It's currant sized, I've only tasted one - and gave it a meh as it wasn't good and it wasn't awful. It doesn't seem to like our heat wave. I've got Black Cherry and Suncherry for comparison.

I'm curious to see how other folks are rating it.
roamwhereiwant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2011   #9
kath
Tomatovillian™

I'm wondering if WOW! is stable- mine are usually the size of Sungold F1 or a bit larger, but the size varies a bit from fruit to fruit- never currant sized, though. Production is very low and it takes forever to color up- when it does, it still looks a bit uneven in a motley, unappealing kind of way. The taste was not sweet, not good- meh, for sure.

Also curious as to what other folks got and what they think.

I didn't get to taste this one until 7/31!
Old August 19, 2011   #10
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Kath, I agree with you on the varying sizes. The skin also seems to be a bit thicker than Sungold. However, when allowed to get fully ripe on the vine, I did find that they can be very sweet. What I found missing was the rich tartness that comes with the sweetness of Sungold. I gave most of mine to my neice who loves to take cherries to work where all the office staff munch on them. She says she likes them, but likes Chello, Sungold, and Yellow Pear much more.

So, WOW is a "good" cherry that can compete with a lot of yellow/gold cherries. It is definitely not a spitter. The taste sensation goes a bit like this for me: Good aroma, a bit of tartness (more than Yellow Pear, but less than Sungold), then a good tomato taste that suggests good heritage, followed by a mild sugary sweetness in the finish. The skin is a bit thick, but not overly so. They keep well on the counter and even better in the cooler.

I believe that at its peak, this tomato will hold its own with the other "sweet" cherries. But, I agree with Kath that it would appear that there is still some variability in its fruit size. I had everything from sub-currant size to 1/4 oz. The shapes are mostly an elongated plum with some round globes.

Overall, it still gets a positive recommendation.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old August 19, 2011   #11
kath
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, forgot about the thick skins. Mine were all perfectly round, though- nothing elongated about them. Mine never really had a "peak"- it's a really shy producer for a cherry. Someone suggested a while back to make sure they were really ripe before picking, so I tried to do that, but I don't think I was ever able to pick more than 4 at a time. My plants are pruned to a single vine, but so are all the other tomatoes I'm growing. It was a bust for me and won't get another spot.
Old August 19, 2011   #12
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

I have found Wow to be very good this season. Skins do seem a bit thick but still a wonderful sweet full flavored cherry. Some variation in fruit shape like stated above.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote