Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 28, 2021   #1
volare71
Tomatovillian™

Default Seed Starting Mix

I have an easy seed starting mix that uses common ingredients I had in the greenhouse. 1/2 brick of coco coir, 2 cups of vermiculite, 2 cups of perlite.
First decompose the brick of coco coir in a gallon of water and then mix in the vermiculite and perlite. It should be moist but not soaking wet.

I add a cup of Milorganite for minerals and nutrients just because I love Milorganite. I've been using it for fifty years.

Best of luck with this year's germination.

volare71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2021   #2
volare71
Tomatovillian™

Report from my seed starting. The mix I recommended is doing it again. Started in paper towels and planted. in 3" X 3" paper pots with my coco coir mix and they're popping up. I use an LED shop light 4 bulb X 2" from 6 PM to 10 PM and from 5 AM to 8 AM to extend daylight hours.

Planting Porter Imp., Roma, Oaxaca pinks, San Marzano, Jalapeno all from seeds I've saved. Some four years old and 90+% gem for all.
volare71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2021   #3
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Last year I tried working with a seed starting mix and had results that matched those from the last several times I get convinced by other folks to try it again... sketchy at best. Back to tried and true plain old potting soilless mix. I think the seed starting mixes are too compact and don't allow air gaps (oxygen) to be at the seeds. Potting mixes may have chunks of stuff in it but has worked for me for more than twenty five years and seed starter has failed five of the five times it has been tried.
Old February 4, 2021   #4
lj in ny
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for posting this! How big is the brick of coco coir? My farm store has 3 different sizes!
lj in ny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coco coir , perlite , seedlings , starter mix , vermiculite