Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 24, 2013   #16
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB View Post
I have quail problems, but they nibble on the lower branches that they can reach from the ground. later on, I have problems with other birds pecking on tomatoes that are ripening. I have tried the holographic tape, but didn't have much luck. Last year, I got some tin pie plates and silver curling ribbon at the dollar store, and strung them up to bang together in the wind. I also use mylar pinwheels. I also think it helps to move things around occasionally, because they get used to things being where they are and get bold after a while. Sometimes, when I have some ripening fruit that I REALLY want, I'll cover part of the plant with lightweight row cover for a little while. I hate the bird netting, because the birds will just peck right through it because they can still see the fruit. Plus, if you leave it on, your plants will start growing through the netting.
I have the same problem with quail. They get the bottom 6 inches of the plants, which is OK because I would eventually pinch them off anyway. This year I intentionally let the plants get a bit leggy and planted when they were about 12 inches tall. The quail got the bottom, but they only killed a couple plants.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013   #17
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I haven't had one strawberry to pick for the last few weeks, each time I go out to pick them they are gone. I hung old CD's in the garden to flap in the wind all around the cages of my tomatoes and cukes. I figure they can have the strawberries if they will leave the others alone. They don't seem to like the squash so I didn't worry about CD's near those.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013   #18
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

My condolences to those who haven't been able to enjoy a good strawberry on account of pesky birds. It seems like birds are just as bad as bugs.

I've seen some water-spraying scarecrows for sale, but I gather it's for larger birds. There was an interesting looking mobile-like contraption that would spin with predator eyes attached to the ends. I wonder if either of those work?

Another deterrent I was thinking of trying- in case the owl decoy and holographic ribbons fail- is a cat-deterrent in the form of a motion-triggered air can. For a tiny patio like mine it probably wouldn't be to tricky to rig a couple of them near my tomatoes and flowerboxes of herbs.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013   #19
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

You could set out some real food for them, and a bit of water. I cant imagine the tomato leaves are very nutritious (in fact I thought they were toxic), so they ought to go for the food instead.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013   #20
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

If I had a larger space or yard I'd go with the peace offering route, but I'm leaning against that for a few reasons: I have very little space since my patio is about 4X7 and crowded with plants, I'm forbidden from drilling into the exterior walls to hang things like a feeder or attach a birdbath, and I really don't want to attract birds onto my patio any more than they already are. I'm considering strapping a bundle of coir or peat to the railing in case they're after my leaves for nesting material, but for the meantime the holographic ribbons and owl decoy are keeping them away. My brandywines have already grown 4 inches in the past couple of days now that their terminal leaves aren't being plucked.
Old May 25, 2013   #21
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I hang old CD's by string from my trellis to keep the birds away from my ripe tomatoes. I'm not positive it works, but they don't just hang out on top of the trellis anymore like they used to. I miss the stacks of AOL install CD's though
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013   #22
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

that's a good use for the AOL cd's that would normally find it's way into the trash

A bit of an update: the ribbons and the owl are DEFINITELY working. I haven't had any new bird damage to speak of. The pair of house finches I'd catch on my patio have not returned even once. It is a little bit of work to maintain the owl and the ribbons. I make sure that there are enough ribbons placed near my plants so there is no spot a bird could land without having s ribbon nearby. I move the owl every day, no exceptions. I also move the ribbons around from time to time (twice a week). It's a pain, but since my patio is small I don't have too many to move and I\ve just made it a part of my daily plant watering routine. I don't know if this would work for those who have large yards or farms, but this is working miracles for my patio and there are a LOT of small birds in my apartment complex- I'd say it borders on an infestation.

One of the 2 sage plants I had thought the birds killed is starting to sprout new leaves back, but the other is a goner and resembles a bunch of dead twigs. One out of two recovering ain't bad!

While I'm out there I can see how the ribbons would work on the birds. When I'm out tending to my plants, sometimes the ribbons flickering by in the corner of my eye look more like a shadow darting by, prompting me to turn my head to see what's there (instinct). When I turn and look I realize it was just the ribbons playing tricks on my eye, but I can see how it might be horrifying to a little bird, especially with the owl decoy on my patio to reinforce the illusion of predators.

Last edited by Vespertino; May 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old June 3, 2013   #23
Kazfam
Tomatovillian™

You're positive it isn't tomato hornworms? They can make a tomato plant look chomped off: http://www1.extension.umn.edu/garden...-home-gardens/

And the little suckers blend in really well with the plant. A tell-tale sign is their frass (little black poop) that they leave behind.

Tags
birds