Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 17, 2008   #1
arlinek
Tomatovillian™

Default Cherokee Purple still blooming from last yr.

Newbie here: So, should we still keep it? It was planted last spring in a HEB alongside Sudd. Brandywine. It is far more sparse, of course, but seems to be really bouncing back - has some blossoms, etc. Will they be puny and far less tasty/sized compared to last year or should we just pull it out? Thank you! (We're in S. Diego, 5 miles from the coast - summer's typically high 70s, occasional low 80s.)

arline
arlinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2008   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlinek View Post
Newbie here: So, should we still keep it? It was planted last spring in a HEB alongside Sudd. Brandywine. It is far more sparse, of course, but seems to be really bouncing back - has some blossoms, etc. Will they be puny and far less tasty/sized compared to last year or should we just pull it out? Thank you! (We're in S. Diego, 5 miles from the coast - summer's typically high 70s, occasional low 80s.)

arline
arline, obviously I'm not from CA but feedback for many years from my S Cal friends strongly suggests that any plants that winter over will not be the same as they were the previous year in terms of healthiness, productivity nor taste. Almost everyone I know starts out with new plants, either raised from Seed or purchased.
Old March 17, 2008   #3
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

It all depends on the plant. Most of the time, I pitch them. But this spring, I am still picking tomatoes from a last year's Big Beef (they are better than store bought, even with the '40's temps at night). The Sungold is huge (4x4), growing like gangbusters and has green and ripe fruit all over it, although it is inedible right now (no sugar). I'm leaving them alone.