Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 17, 2008   #1
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

Default Should I shy away from potato leaf plants?

Last season I planted 15 tomatoes in the ground and 4 in containers. Of the 15 in the ground only 8 were in a prime spot with the proper soil preparation. Big Zac and Bucks County were my RL (2 of each) and my PL varieties were Brandy Boy, Marianna's Peace and Polish. The PL plants suffered from what I think was early blight but the RL plants seemed to be unaffected (or at least not as affected). The PL varieties tasted great but were not as productive or hearty as the RL ones. Was this just a coincidence or in my garden should I now shy away from PL plants? I was thinking it could be a hybrid/heirloom thing but the Brandy Boys were the worst affected of all so I don't think that is it.
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2008   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomatovator View Post
Last season I planted 15 tomatoes in the ground and 4 in containers. Of the 15 in the ground only 8 were in a prime spot with the proper soil preparation. Big Zac and Bucks County were my RL (2 of each) and my PL varieties were Brandy Boy, Marianna's Peace and Polish. The PL plants suffered from what I think was early blight but the RL plants seemed to be unaffected (or at least not as affected). The PL varieties tasted great but were not as productive or hearty as the RL ones. Was this just a coincidence or in my garden should I now shy away from PL plants? I was thinking it could be a hybrid/heirloom thing but the Brandy Boys were the worst affected of all so I don't think that is it.
Having grown well over 2000 different tomato varieties, both RL and PL, I suggest that it's sheer coincidence.

If anything, my experience has been that the PL varieties are more tolerant to Foliage diseases and I've suggested that it's b'c of the thicker leaves found on PL plants.

No documented proof, just my looking out there and seeing that near the end of the season my RL plants will be down and out while the PL's usually keep chugging along.

Not everyone agrees with me on the greater tolerance of PL's to foliage diseases, but quite a few do. And surely there will be individual opinions based on the season, the weather and all else that we know goes into the acquisition of foliage diseases.
Old March 17, 2008   #3
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

SHY AWAY ??? NEVER !!!

PL variety tomatoes can produce
some of the most flavorful fruits you've ever tasted; and in some cases out produce your RL varieties!

In my garden, just the opposite happens:
RL falls to disease, and PL thrives.

Change up the varieties, and see what works best in your area...

~ Tom

Just a couple of my favs.

Grandpa Charlie (from Bill Malin of NM - was his grandpas variety):

Aunt Gerties:
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2008   #4
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

I haven't seen any difference one way or the other here but my friend Perry, who has been growing my plants for about 6 years, prefers PL plants. He says they have been more disease tolerant in his garden.

mater
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2008   #5
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

When I pull my plants up in the fall, I think the PL plants always look healthier than my RL plants. I've noticed that the last several seasons. And that's part of the reason I'm growing only PL varieties this year.
Old March 17, 2008   #6
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

I had the same experiance with PL looking very healthy although all my plants looked good last year but I did try to go about 3/4 PL and 1/4 RL.
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2008   #7
biermaster
Tomatovillian™

Default PL

The PL plants tend to stand up to the heat and humidity of the mid summers here. The RL ones do better as a fall crop.
Old March 17, 2008   #8
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I prefer PL too. The large leaves shelter the fruit from the hot sun better. Sunscald is a big problem here.
Old March 18, 2008   #9
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

It really depends of where are you living to have such preferences.

We used to not praise PL vareities because they hide fruits from the sun and it's not good in Zone 4! Most of PLs are very late here even in greenhouse, but I like their flavor and don't like a total production results as well.

So it's always a compromise how many PL varieties to grow here. Usually I grow only several PLs and many other local gardeners don't grow them at all. There are not so many tomato varieties with potato leafs with former Soviet origin and I don't know any PL variety from Belarus!

As for desease tolerance I should admit that cold and cold nights usually destroy tomatoes with any type of foliage here

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2008   #10
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

I prefer PL plants and to me they do seem healthier as others here suggest.

And now I have an extra reason in the case of Kellogg's Breakfast. I battled CRUD each year with them growing from seed. I switched this year to KBX, the PL version of KB. So far no CRUD! This is huge for me as KB is a favorite but man it was such a chore to grow before!
Old March 18, 2008   #11
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Another one here who thinks PL plants fare better than RLs disease-wise, and as coronabarb says, the big leaves are good against sunscald, a problem here.
Old March 22, 2008   #12
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Tomatovator,

Last year I had 81 tomato plants, about 50% PL; 50% RL. This year I have a little over 250 tomato seedlings waiting to be planted. About 95% PL...5% RL. The reason, Potato Leaf did so much better for me here in south-central PA. Much healthier plants, better yields, and for the most part, tastier tomatoes. Also 99% heirlooms this year, the exceptions being the few Sun Golds that will accompany all the Brandywines, so I have something to nibble while I'm picking the slicers! Good Luck with whatever you decide on going with.
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote