Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 8, 2008   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Workhorse or Benchmark variety

Being fairly new to growing tomatoes, I dont really have a variety that I plan to grow every year as my workhorse so to speak. First two in the ground plantings included Bush Early Girl and the variety averaged 60 plus fruit per plant. It was the best producer of anything I have grown. Big Beef and Jet Star also produced real well in the spring, Gregori's Altai in the fall. BEG, BB and GA all failed to germinate for me this spring. Looking at my list, other than the lone cherry, I am thinking Jet Star and Arkansas Traveler will be my big producers this year. I realize there is no way to predict production with climate, soil, etc. differences. But if you look at my list, which would you be inclined to expect the most production from? Just Curious

Duane

Arkansas Traveler
Aunt Gertie's Gold
Beefsteak
Black Cherry
Cherokee Purple
Earl's Faux
Green Giant
JD's Special C-Tex
Jet Star
Marianna's Peace
Monomakh's Hat
New Big Dwarf
Paul Robeson
Stump of the World

Last edited by duajones; March 8, 2008 at 02:28 PM. Reason: added info
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2008   #2
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Both Earl's Faux and Stump pumped out tomatoes the last time I grew them and both are staples in my garden. I will also always grow Cherokee Purple or Brown. I have not had the best results, production wise, but the taste is so good I will gladly give up the space for them. Others have had really good success with CP, though. AGG is another that pumps them out for me, usually.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2008   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Are we placing bets?

Most productive -- Jet Star
Least productive -- New Big Dwarf

What do I win if I'm right?

You already mentioned the workhorses -- Gregori's Altai and Jet Star, Early Girl and Big Beef. Haven't eaten any of the last 2.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2008   #4
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Im not a betting man but I would probably go with Jet Star as well. NBD is getting its last chance in my garden as I have no more seeds left.
Old March 10, 2008   #5
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

If you like Jet Star you should give Supersonic a try. These 2 have been my favorites for production for many years. IMHO they are both hard to beat for taste also.
Tom
PS Jet Star gets my bet.
Old March 11, 2008   #6
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Thats 2 votes for Jet Star, it will be interesting to see if you guys are correct
Old March 12, 2008   #7
creister
Tomatovillian™

I've never grown Jetstar, but would hedge a bet that it would be one of your top producers along with Ark. Traveler. Earls Faux was very productive for me for such a large tomato, very tasty as well. Cherokee Purple is fairly productive and tasty. I know if you live near Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Home Depot, they ususally have Big Beef transplants available. Just check them close for overall health and aphids on the underside of the leaves. If you buy one, get one without fruits or flowers on it.

Forgot to say the last year Marianna's Peace showed potential for higher production than I got.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2008   #8
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I grew Big Beef last year and it was very productive. It was on my grow list this year but failed to germinate twice along with Gregori's Altai and Bush Early Girl
Old March 12, 2008   #9
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Production:

Red Brandywine (line Suze from TX has)
&
Eva Purple Ball

A patch full of those alone? You'd have to truck em out !

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2008   #10
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

To tell the truth I used to have no such workhouse varieties since I plant up to 95% of "new or have to be sown because of the seed age" varieties every year. So I change my benchmark varieties every year
More to say I have enough varieties from my part of the world new to me for 5 years of further grows...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2008   #11
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

I saw your name Andrey and thought, "I need to see this post and I am going to ask for whatever he is recommending"

Disappointment Andrey, I will just have to do what you do and grow out new (to me) varieties
phreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2008   #12
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Phreddy
You better check your English home mail-box for new (to you) vareities from me They should already be delivered to your side of Europe

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old March 13, 2008   #13
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

For me, Isis Brandy, Mazarini, Maidens Kiss and KBX. Ami
Old March 13, 2008   #14
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Mazarini is an excellent choice indeed, but a total production from heart shaped varieties are almost always less than from whose with globe or flattend fruits!
Adding my Vezha and any from De Barao family (red, pink, gold, orange, black and recently discovered striped version) from indeterminate varieties and Vodar or Orange-1 from determinates... Should admit that all De Barao are very deseases and shadow tolerant and bear fruits until frost on huge vines! They are with plum shaped fruits but with rather good flavor and universal use...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old March 14, 2008   #15
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Phreddy
You better check your English home mail-box for new (to you) vareities from me They should already be delivered to your side of Europe
I am on my way Andrey. Leaving Malaysia in 5 hours, 7 hour flight, 5 hour wait, 7 hour flight, I hour train journey, half an hour tram journey and whilst I have a cup of tea, I shall be opening all my post.
Thanks to all the senders.
phreddy is offline   Reply With Quote