Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 23, 2017   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Oldies and Hopefully Goodies 2017

I think with the exception of Tangerine Mama everything I am growing is an heirloom. I started out with 500 seedlings, but due to 85mph tornado winds, downed trees and flooding, all but 80 were lost for this spring season. We'll see how fall crop does if possible. Depends on temps and weather.

Everybody is new to me this year. They say it harder than heck to try and grow heirlooms down in the South in our high heat and humidity. Other than some BER from to much rain and then scorching days and back to rain, everybody doing really well so far. Keeping my fingers crossed, but the get ready for 100F+ days and humidity is on.

It's exciting to be growing all new stuff. Hopefully I will like the taste of them all. First year ever I am growing some bigger tomatoes. Trying to learn how to do it.

First up is Porter Charles Herring. Love this plant. Thanks to the person who shared them with me. This plant made the first tomatoes and is huge and loaded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomatoes 001.JPG (130.0 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg tomatoes 002.JPG (131.6 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg tomatoes 003.JPG (140.1 KB, 238 views)
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

good night that would be discouraging! so sad, but glad you have some. I would probably have given up. what you have looks great. well done.
Old June 23, 2017   #3
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Grub's Green Mystery

Don't know who Grubb's is and what the mystery part means. This my first real Green tomato. Have no idea when it will be time to pick it. I know it a big tomato now and I so want to pick and make some green fried tomatoes, but have to wait til I have lots on the vine. Hopefully when the time comes, I'll be brave enough to taste test a green one. If not will just be more seed to save.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomatoes 004.JPG (144.9 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg tomatoes 005.JPG (126.9 KB, 240 views)
Old June 23, 2017   #4
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Japanese Black Trifele

Hope I spelled that right. What an interesting shaped tomato. Not sure how black it supposed to get. I am keeping my eye on the blacks as they say blacks down here get Late Blight bad. We shall see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomatoes 006.JPG (116.1 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg tomatoes 007.JPG (139.2 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg tomatoes 008.JPG (137.1 KB, 245 views)
Old June 23, 2017   #5
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
good night that would be discouraging! so sad, but glad you have some. I would probably have given up. what you have looks great. well done.

Thanks! Not really my doing. I planted the seeds and doing the maintenance, but I wouldn't have anything growing if not for all the TV helping hands. I give all the credit to them. I reading and asking questions and following their advice. I so grateful for all the Tv teachers here who have the patience to answer even my crazy questions and I ask lots.

I don't feel so bad for losing my seedlings, but I hurt for those plants that I trialing for two different folks. Only have about half of what I had started for them. Thankfully was able to save most of their's. That more important to me.
Old June 23, 2017   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The tomatoes and plants look great
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017   #7
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
The tomatoes and plants look great
Thanks Salt! If I can do it you can too. Container Gardening threads full of awesome advice.

Got lots more to post, but with dial up gonna take me awhile. Hoping that some of what I post may give other folks an idea to try these cultivars too. More to life than all the new hybrids. Think alot of these I growing this year description says beefsteak types.
Old June 23, 2017   #8
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Happy Jack

Mainly I grew this one for the name. Made me smile. Wonder what made Jack so happy? Hope it was from tasting a good tomato. Another one with shape I have never seen before. Funny how the bottoms curves to a point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomatoes 009.JPG (94.4 KB, 233 views)
Old June 23, 2017   #9
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Mule Team

What a name. Reminds me of covered wagons and olden days. One day when I get time, I want to research into the history of these plants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomatoes 010.JPG (134.8 KB, 237 views)
Old June 23, 2017   #10
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Pierce's Pride

Nice! Nice! Nice! Lots of branching and tomatoes. Super tall too. I think I have enough string typing the branches up to make a quilt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomatoes 011.JPG (118.5 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg tomatoes 012.JPG (136.8 KB, 230 views)
Old June 23, 2017   #11
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Fakel

Wonder what Fakel means? So far they like oversized cherries. Making lots of clusters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomatoes 013.JPG (132.8 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg tomatoes 014.JPG (120.7 KB, 226 views)
Old June 23, 2017   #12
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Yukon Quest

Instead of mush little doggies, it's blush, come on and blush. I was a bit worried about growing this one as with the name Yukon Quest I figured it was a northern grown tomato and might not survive my unreal conditions. I have been pleasantly surprised.

I enjoy looking at all the foliage of my plants as much as watching the tomatoes grow. This one I fell in love with the foliage. I don't know if it is a dwarf or not, but it's not very tall and I have never seen such thick foliage and so compact on a tomato plant before.

The foliage is so thick that today I discovered two tomatoes hidden in the mass of leaves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomatoes 015.JPG (142.9 KB, 220 views)
Old June 23, 2017   #13
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Plum Tigris

Looking good! Makes lots of clusters of 6 to 8 large size plum shaped tomatoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomatoes 016.JPG (116.5 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg tomatoes 017.JPG (109.9 KB, 219 views)
Old June 23, 2017   #14
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Ernie's Plump

I do enjoy looking at this tomato. It's like they clusters of an extra large plum shape on steroids. I keep waiting for them to explode they getting so fat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomatoes 018.JPG (135.0 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg tomatoes 019.JPG (125.0 KB, 218 views)
Old June 23, 2017   #15
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Leadbetter's Lunker

The name makes me laugh and so does the tomato. I've never grown one before that so wide. I know mine won't get to super big weight. Might if in the ground or bigger container, but it a big one for me. Look out BLT as soon as it ready to eat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomatoes 020.JPG (131.0 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg tomatoes 021.JPG (135.6 KB, 215 views)