Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old January 12, 2012   #16
nicky
Tomatovillian™

Jim Westerfield crosses mints & plants are for sale at Richters Herbs... ginger, grapefruit, berries & cream, marshmallow.... crazy! No Chocolate Orange though. I am going to raid the snack cupboard for some Clementines now!

http://www.richters.com/Web_store/we...=9107140.32298

and on the thread topic - there is a great variety of basil seed at Richters!

nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2012   #17
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Ginger is a good one. Haven't tried the berries & cream or marshmallow. Will have to recheck Richters...its been awhile. Thanks for reminding me, Nicky.

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2012   #18
nicky
Tomatovillian™

You are welcome! I got the Mojito mint from Belgian Nurseries (on Hwy 7) last spring. It had a Richters tag on it. I am hoping that they carry a few more this year. Those Mojito leaves were BIG!
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2012   #19
bustani.mama
Tomatovillian™

I had the mojito last year and it was AMAZING! I think with the 8 basil types I also had the mojito mint and chocolate mint --but I had SO many plants in there there was no room for weeds and the mints couldn't fully "take" lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bustani.mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2012   #20
Zana
Tomatovillian™

In 2010 I grew the following herbs:
Genovese Basil
Spicy Globe Basil
Sweet Basil
Dark Opal Basil
Lemon Basil
Lime Basil
Cinnamon Basil
Fine Verde Basil
Lettuce Leaf Basil
Purple Ruffles Basil
Queen of Siam Thai Basil
Orange Mint
Chocolate Mint
Pineapple Mint
Ginger Mint
Garlic Chives
Greek Oregano
French Tarragon
Mammoth Dill
Culinary Sage
Pineapple Sage
Summer Savory
Angelica

I think there were more...but also think that the list for those hasn't been updated on the computer yet. Seems I have some more paperwork to do....sighhhh
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2012   #21
bustani.mama
Tomatovillian™

Lol that's allways fun! --but then I get to totally overhaul my seed collection (new list new packaging EVERYTHING it seems and I don't expect it to be quick OR easy lol) hopefully lol I can start in 2 weeks and I have the ability to do everything I want to lol (my list is MASSIVE! Lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bustani.mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2012   #22
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Lemon basil is my favorite. Wouldn't have a garden without it.

Of course, I've only grown lemon, lettuce leaf, and regular old sweet basil. (And next year I won't grow the lettuce leaf. It had a strong, almost licorice flavor. I suspect it would be good in certain dishes, but we're really not big enough fans of licorice to give it the room.)
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2012   #23
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

I made the mistake one year of planting a type of Lime basil.. and now we can't get rid of it!! The thing self seeds like crazy!

It goes well on fish and with some teas, but I find it has the wrong flavor for most of my normal basil dishes.

Luckily, I also have a very delicious thai basil that seems to hold up in the heat. This one is my fave.
Old January 12, 2012   #24
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I am not a big fan of the licorice flavored basils, but the thai basil's are so
pretty, and it is a good bee attracter. This is my Siam Queen. I will be
growing it again this year.

roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2012   #25
NorthTom
Tomatovillian™

I've never cooked with it, but cinnamon basil is the best smelling plant I've ever grown, imo. Every time I walk by it I have to brush it and take a sniff.
NorthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2012   #26
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Globe and Thai. I like the smaller leaves and the plants don't usually get so big that they are a problem.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2012   #27
Kierkegaard
Tomatovillian™

I'm kind of new to basil. I've only tried sweet, lemon, lime, "purple" and boxwood. I like the boxwood because I can just clip it like a hedge and it tastes great. I'm not crazy about the lemon or lime.
Kierkegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2012   #28
swamper
Tomatovillian™

I've grown many over the years, and will always have thai and lemon basil, and a sweet basil for pesto. I prefer sweet basil to genova.

Marseillais is my favorite sweet/ bush type though not the most resistant to mildew or fusarium. I have trialed many bush types. Greek Mini is also interesting for its camphor aroma.

Lucky Dance is a very aromatic lemon basil. I'd like to find a source for bulk seed.

Sweet Thai is a very aromatic thai basil but it doesn't yield as much as some like Siam Queen. Thai Magic looks vigorous and slow to bolt this year and Queenette was also very fragrant. I'm still looking for the perfect thai basil.

I have Cameo dwarf genova basil coming up and it looks very vigorous and compact, also have some later sown Summerlong to see if it's flavor resembles marseillais.
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2012   #29
JoParrott

My fav is Greek Columnar Basil- it doesn't go to flower, so no trimming necessary (I know it CAN go to seed, but in all my years of growing it, that has not happened). It makes a beautiful compact upright bush about 2 feet tall, and tastes really good.
Old July 28, 2012   #30
Lcottomsvcs
Tomatovillian™

My favorite hands down is lemon basil. I have tried many of the different strains, they are all good to me. I dry it to make tea mixed with lemon balm, make a lemony paste like pesto for baked chicken or fish, and blend it with softened butter and chives to top baked or grilled salmon. Yum. Now I am hungry.......