Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 24, 2017   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
Didn't you say Danko was early and tasty or maybe it was Andrey. Anyway I ordered some Danko along 3 other Russian tomato seeds and a 38 day Zuchinni that is supposed to withstand light frost and cool weather and still produce
Danko is one of my favorite varieties, but I don't see it as an early,using my definition for early, and if you look at the history below

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Danko

You'll see that Andrey and I introduced it at the same time,in 2008,my seeds were not from Andrey. I'll try to make this short, but someone I knew well in CA had a DH who spent time in Russia as an under cover agent and she asked him if he could bring back some tomato seed,he did,and here was this link,which I know explains it all.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...t=tsar-kolokol

And the fun we had trying to ID them all.

Carolyn
Old September 25, 2017   #17
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Danko is a mid early variety.
But it is still great for a heart shaped variety

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2017   #18
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I'm assuming they start ripening... about end july, beginning of august?
Sun always comes to mind but those should be the warmer months, my guess is insufficient leaf/fruit ratio in beginning of season or poor nutrient absorption in the colder months when the fruit starts to grow.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2017   #19
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tickle View Post
Have just ordered for next season and will let you all know how they get on.
Any other suggestions??
Not many - I have some crosses at the F4 and other stages that might fill the bill and actually be tastier in crappy weather. Focusing on colors other than red, and so far the best tasting are all relatively small fruited. A few years to go to stabilize the best of them, then we can have a cold weather tomato hurrah I hope.
I don't believe I have ever grown a beef that was tastier in a cold wet environment than it was in a sunny or decent year. There are quite a few that are early enough, and that set in cool temperatures, but fruit quality shines when they get enough sun.
Andrey has vastly more experience than I do, so I think you won't go wrong following his advice!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017   #20
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

here is Tania site list on early tomatoes
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/T...Early_Tomatoes
I too have grown Danko and love it for good full flavor although it is never uber early for me.
This year my earliest was Yagodka which was transplanted into south side of the house container around May 20 and I got first cherries at the end of June. Taste is sharp and full, very satisfying.
Out of larger sized Maya and Sion's Airdrie Classic tomato and Matsu express shined this year, again not uber early but couple of weeks earlier than others. Would not be without Indian Stripe and Biyskaya Roza, reliable performers with great taste on earlier side.
Matina, Jaune Flamee and Moravsky Div have great flavor and are on early side,
Otherwise yes, same as Carolyn, I wait for midseason to late to get variety of delightful tasting varieties.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote