Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 13, 2011   #1
yopper
Tomatovillian™

Default no peppers

I have really good looking healthy sweet pepper plants bell and frying but no peppers. This has happend the last 2 or 3 yrs. I was wondering if root prunning would force them to produce? Any one ever try this? I'am going to try this on a few plants and see what happends as I have nothing to lose. YOPPER
yopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2011   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

What are you fertilizing with? Too much Nitrogen can cause that.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2011   #3
yopper
Tomatovillian™

RAY No fertilizer used. YOPPER
Old August 13, 2011   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

My feeling - all about temps at the root zone. Since switching from ground to pot grown peppers, my yields have skyrocketed.
Old August 13, 2011   #5
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Craig, I would have thought you would have pretty decent ground temps in North Carolina without resorting to pots.

Yopper, blossoms or no blossoms?

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2011   #6
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ruth, I know - it is astounding! peppers in my garden - 3-4 on the plant, maybe 5. Peppers in 5 gallon grow bags - 10-12 - 15 on a plant, loaded down. I think it is the early heat that gets things going very well - I am sure there are other factors. But I won't grow another pepper or eggplant in the ground - it makes that much of a difference.
Old August 13, 2011   #7
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

I have had the same issue the last two years plus disease. The only pepper in my garden that is producing this year is one that is in a pot. I am thinking about making EarthTainers for next years peppers.
Old August 13, 2011   #8
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Yopper, when you say "no fertilizer" I wonder what that means. If they are growing big plants, they must be getting nutrients from something. No fruit might mean they aren't getting enough Phosphorous.
What do have them planted in?

I think with peppers, it's all about loose soil and great drainage. That's why they do so well in pots. I planted about a dozen plants along side the south side of the house in a former flower bed with very friable soil. They love it there and some plants are outdoing some I have in containers.
Old August 13, 2011   #9
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I am having a similar issue this Season, even in my EarthTainers. Lots of foliage - - but few Peppers:

The mistake I made was to switch from the TomatoTone I used last Season, now to a Foliage-Pro like 19-6-12 CRF fertilizer.

Here were the Peppers last year in the TomatoTone:

Clearly, the Peppers this year are being hit with too much Nitrogen. .....Won't make that mistake again next Season.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2011   #10
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

my pepper output sucks to put it mildly!

my plants are small, they have very few peppers and very few flowers. they are in the ground as always. my soil is sandy loam and always has grown good peppers along with anything else i plant. i water regularly and fertilize every 14 days spraying with neptune's harvest.

nothing i have said is different than any other season other than the cooler weather and THE variety. i settled for king arthur from a greenhouse, a variety i never grew before. i often see flower and therefore fruit production sky roacket in later august when the extreme heat of summer fades but since this summer has been a little cooler why the problem? rhetoric question btw. could it have been the 98 and 100+ days 2 weeks ago? i didn't see any flowers drop. the way things are going i may get 12 or 15 peppers from 6 plants for the whole season! btw, at least 4 have rotted and 3 or 4 have bad spots.

i may start to grow my peppers from seeds since i can't get the varieties i have grown and have liked in the past. peppers are one of the 2 things i don't start myself from seed.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2011   #11
matereater
Tomatovillian™

So Craig, are you saying 'hotter/warmer' roots make for better pepper production?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2011   #12
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

What RayR said I found to be true. I use to mix compost with my
clay soil and till it in really good with fertilizer. The sweet peppers
never produced much. This year I made 2 new raised bed and
basically followed the square foot garden method without the divisions.
I put down weed block first. Then I added compost, peat moss and
vermiculite (bought in bulk). Added my fertilizer, and that's it.
Best bell pepper production I ever had. Nice and big just like the
stores. Light fluffy well drained mix is what the peppers like.

Yopper, the miraclegrow rose fertilizer is high in phosphorus.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2011   #13
yopper
Tomatovillian™

Ray I put manure on this garden 5 or 6 yrs. ago but nothing lately. The dirt in this garden is black and fluffy like peat and never gets hard. The black dirt asorbes the heat and really gets warm early in the spring .I have seen a few blossoms but they must have fallen off. I have one yellow frying pepper 6" long out of 30 plants. The corn and tomatos and most every thing dose great in this garden. I don't know what this means but onions don't do good in this garden.I have two gardens about 100 yrds apart the other is amended[ for 20 yrs.] clay and they didn't do good there the last two yrs.so I switched gardens. I did put some wood ashes on last spring.THANKS YOPPER
Old August 14, 2011   #14
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I've certainly had more success on peppers in pots than in the ground. And generally skipping bells and growing Carmen, Marconi, Red Marconi, and Jimmy Nardello.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2011   #15
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Yopper, I always found peppers to be a little trickier to grow than tomatoes even though they have similar requirements and being in the North with a shorter season makes it even trickier sometimes if things are just not perfect. Sounds like you have great soil texture, but cultivating for years takes its toll on soil nutrients if you aren't adding anything. Corn and onions are heavy feeders, Corn especially needs a good amount of Nitrogen. If your corn is doing great you must somehow still have a good amount of Nitrogen in the soil. Onions like Peppers need a good supply of phosphorus, so I'm guessing that your soil is lacking enough of that nutrient if both are doing poorly. You can see Raybo's results last year with Tomato Tone (3-4-6) which is a well balanced organic fertilizer for fruiting crops vs. his results this year with Foliage-Pro (9-3-6) which is a high Nitrogen fertilizer for foliage production.

Wood ashes is like adding lime to the soil, it has a fair amount of Calcium and other minerals and lowers soil PH, but it has a negligible amount of NPK value.