Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 4, 2021   #1
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Default Refresh my Memory on best fertilizer for seedlings?

I have been growing tomatoes for about 10 years, saving my seeds, etc. I have a city yard so can only grow 12-15 plants each summer (still I'm the crazy tomato lady around here because my tomatoes are mostly not red!) The last two years due to health and crazy life issues I grew fewer plant (two years of seedling failure meant I had to actually buy my plants - ugh), but we've rearranged the hard and are planning three new raised beds in a sunnier spot so I'm trying again. It feels like I don't remember anything that made me successful when I started out! please help!

I have to buy my seedling soil and fertilizer online this year, no stores are open but Walmart and I don't shop there.

The ONLY fertilizer I can find is Miracle Grow at a 18-18-21 or a generic 'garden food' at 12-12-12.

Living in Canada, I don't have anywhere to order the brands I used to buy and now seem to be impossible to find right now? I loved black gold starting soil and tomatotone fertlizier. Cant find them anywhere (without paying rediculous prices).
I'd love ideas of what I can do! I can buy Promix (BX or MP) in big bags, which is probably what I'll do for seed starting medium. I plant seeds starting next week for peppers, a couple weeks later for tomatoes.
Thanks!

Last edited by LindyAdele; February 4, 2021 at 07:49 AM.
LindyAdele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2021   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Really depends on what you use for medium. Promix bx contains fertilizer already as do some others
For myself I use jiffy or similar sterile seedling mix and sometimes expandable pellets for certain things. They don’t contain fertilizer.
Then once growing I pot up at 2-4 leaf stage to something like promix HP which does not contain fertilizer.
If I used bx I would not add fertilizer at that point. But since I use HP I use
Balanced soluble 1/2 strength weekly until plant out and then switch to a 6-12-12 granular tomato fertilizer.
A million ways to do it, that’s what I do currently.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2021   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I bought some Promix HP from Canadian Tire a while back. Ontario is in lockdown and I haven't been anywhere recently except to buy groceries, but I think they are doing curbside pickup.

I have some fish emulsion that I use (diluted) once a week, but I pot up into Promix for Herbs and Veggies which contains fertilizer. That is also available from Cdn Tire and Home Hardware.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2021   #4
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I also use a very weak fish fert.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote