Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 27, 2013   #1
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Default 9"X13" aluminum cake pans

Just wondering about using the throw away cake pans as the bottom 'standard tray' for my 4X4inch pots when I'm ready to pot up the seedlings.

Will aluminum be bad for the plants or won't it be enough to matter? I'm just trying to reuse/recycle and garden on the cheap.

Instability is the only draw back I can think of, as they are flimsy. I don't plan on moving them much at all once I get them to that growth stage. Just don't want to poison my plants or me!
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #2
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I don't see any problem using those, we cook at high temps in those so I can't imagine a seed pot causing any problems.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #3
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Doh! didn't even consider that. Some that I have even have a clear dome, cake cover, I might just state my seeds in one of them, punch holes, bend it to make it fit into another one and cover it. It may even reflect more light/heat from the shop light.
Old January 27, 2013   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I buy the foil trays in multi packs at dollar stores and use them under my pots. They not only make great trays, they also reflect a lot of light back up to your seedlings. And while shop lights don't give off much heat at all, the aluminum pans also reflect what little they do generate back up to the plants.

We're not running the pellet stove this year in the basement since my husband installed a super high efficiency furnace, and I was worried it would be too cold down there. With the foil pans on the bottom and shop lights above, the temperature on the seedling shelves stays around 65 during the day while the rest of the basement is at 58.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #5
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I use them all the time. I salvage them from any place they are tossing them. If I remember correctly many soils contain aluminum in tiny amounts just as many soils contain iron.

Last edited by Doug9345; January 27, 2013 at 10:15 PM.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #6
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
Just wondering about using the throw away cake pans as the bottom 'standard tray' for my 4X4inch pots when I'm ready to pot up the seedlings.

Will aluminum be bad for the plants or won't it be enough to matter? I'm just trying to reuse/recycle and garden on the cheap.

Instability is the only draw back I can think of, as they are flimsy. I don't plan on moving them much at all once I get them to that growth stage. Just don't want to poison my plants or me!
I have been using them without problems.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #7
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Fabulous!
Old January 27, 2013   #8
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I picked up a few of these type crates at Lowe's the other day thinking they were perfect for carrying transplants and keeping them in the sun. I also used one today to gather my garden finds. The sides didn't stay closed when I pushed on them but the crate wasn't full either and the items in it were lightweight. I think for transplants it would work great. I purchased blue ones at Lowe's and they were $8.97 each.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_102735-87825..._#BVRRWidgetID

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2013   #9
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Around here, the Dollar Store has the large ones with the plastic covers. While some of them can be a little flimsy, I've used them to corral pots for a few years now.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2013   #10
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Here you go from last year no issues at all

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359385376.876915.jpg

I even used them for hardening off my 4in pots in and out for a week with no structural issues.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2013   #11
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

I'm even more excited about my new "idea". I think I'll ask my garden friend to save a few for me, as I know she cooks and bakes a lot with them. Goodwill had a bunch for 1.49 for 2, that's when I thought they might work for my plants.

That's way better than 2.49 for the standard plastic tray at the garden store.

Crandrew, thanks for the picture.
Old January 28, 2013   #12
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

they are nice as well cause you can use the lid as a humidity dome, then about a week after they sprout I take the lid off, separate my mass plantings and use the lid as another tray to hold the additional pots.

I will say that I prefer the garden store trays better because they incorporate channels that stop water from accumulating at the base of the pots. With the aluminum trays you will need to empty the tray after watering. But that's not a big deal.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2013   #13
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

I've used them and those plastic shoe boxes without any problems. If you grow seedlings for family and friends, it's handy to hand them over in a tray or shoebox.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2013   #14
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

I actually prefer the plastic shoe boxes, too. They are sturdier and they last longer for me. Also, because they hold a smaller amount of plants, they are easier to transport in and out of the greenhouse and to friends.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2013   #15
DanielA
Tomatovillian™

If you use two at a time they become very sturdy, they will handle pots with light potting mix. They also serve as an oil pan when changing engine oil .
DanielA is offline   Reply With Quote