Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old May 4, 2013   #46
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Nice.Very healthy plants.
Old June 17, 2013   #47
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Taste test have been conducted on all 6 plants. Very little variation as far as flavor allthough plant #5 stands out the most. It still has a sweetness to it like Green Doctors but with acid undertones. Sweet with a great tang is how i would describe it, just perfect for my taste. Fruit shape and size remain very similar in this generation compared to last years generation (see post #42). I would call these mini beefsteaks in the 1-3 oz range with a cherry type truss. It is very productive too! The fruits are larger at the top of the truss and get smaller towards the end. I will grow out one more generation this fall. Aside from any setbacks this fall I hope to share seeds this winter.

Damon

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1371522609204.jpg (89.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1371522619769.jpg (92.1 KB, 79 views)
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #48
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Did you ever save/pursue any seed of the mini hearts, or save seed from the prior F generations?
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #49
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

crmauch- Unfortunately they were never true hearts. I would have loved to find mini hearts though. But the f1 did give rise to an interesting shape (kind of a plum cherry if you will) which I haven't seen in any further generations since then.

I do however love this cross so much that I decided to cross it with Kosovo to see if I can get mini hearts, green or pink.

Damon

Damon
Old July 1, 2013   #50
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsguy76 View Post
Unfortunately they were never true hearts. I would have loved to find mini hearts though.
I realized I need to ask a question. They looked like hearts (from the shape) in the photograph, but you said they weren't 'true' hearts. What makes a tomato a 'heart' tomato. (Damon to be clear, I'm not disagreeing with what you said, I just am trying to understand some of the classification 'rules')

Thanks,

Chris
Old July 1, 2013   #51
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Hi Chris. What picture or pictures are you referring to? The only picture reminiscent of a heart would be the ones of the F1 imo. But again not a heart.

A heart variety, most of the fruit at the bottom should taper to a point. Whether a sharp point like Orange Strawberry or more of a dull point as German Red Strawberry. Hearts should have some sort of heart shape to them. That's the best way I can describe it.

Damon

Old July 1, 2013   #52
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hi Chris. What picture or pictures are you referring to? The only picture reminiscent of a heart would be the ones of the F1 imo. But again not a heart.

A heart variety, most of the fruit at the bottom should taper to a point. Whether a sharp point like Orange Strawberry or more of a dull point as German Red Strawberry. Hearts should have some sort of heart shape to them. That's the best way I can describe it.
I was referring to Post#3 where a lot of the fruits appeared to be tapering to a point or 'almost' a point. but you don't consider that shape to be a 'heart'? or they weren't pointy enough? I also have the impression that the shape didn't repeat itself.
Old July 1, 2013   #53
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Ok yes they are pointy. But I would classify those first hand as pointy bottom cherries. Maybe a pointy cherry plum if that classification exsist I'm not sure lol.

But going ahead to post 25 I did in fact see that shape in one of f2's where later in this thread I stated that I didn't. Opppps! It was bronish red in color.I've got other crosses going on as well so I got mixed up. There is no doubt that I will never know the other parent. The shapes were all over the map in the f2's

The bottom line for me was and still is is to grow and advance the most tasty one which happens to be the GWR mini beefsteak.

Damon
Old July 2, 2013   #54
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Here is todays haul off a few Green Doctors Mystery Cross plants. I have decided to name my final selection (this coming fall) of this cross D's Sweet n Sour Green. The taste of this one is in the name. There is a big whack of sweetness that hits you right away and then under tones of the acid bite come into play moments later. I know my description is OT! But I really love this tomato, taste wise it is my favorite.

Damon

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1372788917799.jpg (102.7 KB, 85 views)
Old December 12, 2013   #55
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

I managed to grow out 2 more generations this year! Which brings this GWR mini Beefsteak out to the f6! I do believe its pretty darn close to being stable. With saving only about a 140-180 bagged seeds I plan to do a very small offer soon in a separate post. Stay tuned!

Damon
Old December 12, 2013   #56
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I managed to grow out 2 more generations this year! Which brings this GWR mini Beefsteak out to the f6! I do believe its pretty darn close to being stable. With saving only about a 140-180 bagged seeds I plan to do a very small offer soon in a separate post. Stay tuned!

Damon
Damon, I just read through the whole darn thread b'c I'd forgtten where you started from.

If you do a seed offer I'm sure you'd do it in the trade Forum of the seed exchange, but then there's another issue.

Read some of the first posts in this thread and you'll see I was kind of lusting after a heart and asked for seeds, but that didn't work out so now you have this larger GWR.

You owe me for all the heart varieties I sent you a few years ago, remember,so now I'm lusting after that GWRipe one.

I'm sure you still have my home address and 10-12 seeds will do since I have to send to Craig who grows my plants for me, and then to one other who does seed production.

Normally I HATE it when anyone asks for seeds in a thread, but Damon and I have known each other for a long time, and I bet the other cross he wants to make is with Kosovo seeds I think I probably sent him.

Carolyn
Old December 13, 2013   #57
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Ah yes! I'm honored, to have peaked your interest. And yes I will set 12 seeds aside for you! After all, I really do owe you for all those wonderful hearts you sent!

Oh and by the way, where the heck is that green heart you have mentioned a couple times over the last year??!!

Damon
Old December 13, 2013   #58
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ah yes! I'm honored, to have peaked your interest. And yes I will set 12 seeds aside for you! After all, I really do owe you for all those wonderful hearts you sent!

Oh and by the way, where the heck is that green heart you have mentioned a couple times over the last year??!!

Damon
You were one of the first dedicated heart lovers that I Ided, and I was happy to send you seeds for what I thought were good ones. Of course that was several years ago and many more good ones, at least IMO have come along.

Damon, you don't really owe me anything, I just love to banter with you.

The green and purple hearts are still in Germany, not yet genetically stable, I just checked on that, all for you.

Carolyn