Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old January 29, 2016   #16
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I've used my German Shepherds to deter deer before. A dog pen in the garden is good for about a hundred feet in every direction with deer, not squirrels though, I'm sure. My problem with using dogs in the garden is that I have to account for the possibility of a pack of coyotes showing up. They are notorious dog-killers.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016   #17
bower
Tomatovillian™

Coyotes are new here too - really new so there's nothing like a pack of them, just a few solitary animals. They have been moving across the island since they arrived at the west coast, and the first sightings in our area just the past few years. I have seen one crossing the yard early one morning.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Coyotes are new here too - really new so there's nothing like a pack of them, just a few solitary animals. They have been moving across the island since they arrived at the west coast, and the first sightings in our area just the past few years. I have seen one crossing the yard early one morning.
If you are allowed kill every one you see.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
If you are allowed kill every one you see and hang his carcass up so the others can see it.

Worth
Old January 29, 2016   #20
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
If you are allowed kill every one you see and hang his carcass up so the others can see it.

Worth
Wise words. Folks are keen to kill them but the chance is another matter. Wildlife officials properly are the ones with the authority, some have the means and allowed to do it, others have means but not in an area you can shoot a firearm. And some don't have the means either.

Not that long ago some feller from the outports was brought up on charges for shooting a bear inside his home.
Polar bears often make it to the island on ice floes, then they are spotted around communities especially the north. The wildlife officers go in, tranq em, they give em free dental work while they're passed out in dreamland, and ship em back home in their sleep. Then they wake up and tell the others how they got the magic teeth.
It's a very different scene here. Not much being shot without a license to do it.
I wouldn't get away with shooting squirrels either.
But I have foxes as well, they might catch a few.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Wise words. Folks are keen to kill them but the chance is another matter. Wildlife officials properly are the ones with the authority, some have the means and allowed to do it, others have means but not in an area you can shoot a firearm. And some don't have the means either.

Not that long ago some feller from the outports was brought up on charges for shooting a bear inside his home.
Polar bears often make it to the island on ice floes, then they are spotted around communities especially the north. The wildlife officers go in, tranq em, they give em free dental work while they're passed out in dreamland, and ship em back home in their sleep. Then they wake up and tell the others how they got the magic teeth.
It's a very different scene here. Not much being shot without a license to do it.
I wouldn't get away with shooting squirrels either.
But I have foxes as well, they might catch a few.
We built a pond about 200 yards from the house and the coyotes used it for a watering hole.
I would get up early at dawn and shoot them through my bedroom window with a 25-06.
This would of course scare the be gibbers out of my parents who were still asleep.
Worth
Old January 29, 2016   #22
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
We built a pond about 200 yards from the house and the coyotes used it for a watering hole.
I would get up early at dawn and shoot them through my bedroom window with a 25-06.
This would of course scare the be gibbers out of my parents who were still asleep.
Worth
Ha! I have done that a time or two! Shooting high powered rifles out the back door at the break of dawn when wifey be sleeping is a no no.. Would I do it again? Already have!
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Hellmanns which one of them fellers is you in the video you posted?

Worth
Old January 29, 2016   #24
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Those who said one inch are right, in my experience. Two inches is an open door.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016   #25
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hellmanns which one of them fellers is you in the video you posted?

Worth
I'm not in the video, Worth. Mr. Hurley Combs could be me though, because he seems to love soppin' cat head biscuits in squirrel gravy.
Old January 29, 2016   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
I'm not in the video, Worth. Mr. Hurley Combs could be me though, because he seems to love soppin' cat head biscuits in squirrel gravy.
Sounds good to me too.

Worth
Old January 29, 2016   #27
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Those who said one inch are right, in my experience. Two inches is an open door.
I have seen squirrels untwist 1 inch chicken wire and get through.
Old January 29, 2016   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Old January 29, 2016   #29
cloz
Tomatovillian™

This is my solution to squirrels and chipmunks. Picture one is the trap. Picture two is the result. Works real well. A little peanut butter on the trigger stick does the job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1946.jpg (43.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1950.jpg (35.4 KB, 93 views)
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2016   #30
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have chipmunks also but they are not a problem as my little dachshunds are very adept at catching them but squirrels are another matter. Even killing them with a pellet rifle has become nearly impossible they have become so wary of me but it doesn't stop them from raiding my garden every time I am not in it. It is almost time to set out my spring broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower and I know they will be demolished by the furry tailed rats.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote