Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 15, 2013   #1
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Default what's up with the weather?

July 15th and the high in Oklahoma today is 75 degrees?

I am not complaining. Sure beats 2 months straight of over 100 degrees. But this ain't normal folks!

The good news is it is just in time to set some fruit for the late comers that didn't catch the last week of temps in the low 80's. That twice now I have gotten a break! Thank you thank you God! After such a late and crazy spring this is awesome! Still crazy..but awesome! I did get 2 split tomatoes from the extra rain..but I'll take it.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #2
peppero
Tomatovillian™

RB I am not going to complain as it has been fairly nice over here in sw Tennessee. enjoy..

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #3
jmhammRN
Tomatovillian™

I'll sure take this. Got a late start this year and all the rain we had almost drowned out all my plants. Only lost one but it took the others a while to recover. Didn't really take the time to prepare the soil before planting so that didn't help either. That was just laziness on my part, as well as still being new to real gardening. Always relied on mom's garden! So I'm trying to learn as I go now.

Got a good amount of blooms but not much fruiting. Hope this cooler weather will help with that. Next year I plan to be better educated and more prepared for the season. Maybe the fall will bring a good crop until then though?!?!
jmhammRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #4
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Default Send a little my way

We've had nothing but rain, rain, rain for a month. The only tomatoes set are the first ones tha set. They are starting to turn, have had way too much water and of poor flavor. We need some cooler, drier weather. Instead, the rain lets up a little and the temps are high heading into the hottest part of the season. I'll be lucky to see any more toms set before late August!

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #5
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

We also had rain rain, cold, hot more rain, now hot and humid weather. I'm pretty sure some of my plants aren't going to have enough time to set fruit and ripen! And I am already battling with BER. Ahhh!!!!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2013   #6
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhammRN View Post
I'll sure take this. Got a late start this year and all the rain we had almost drowned out all my plants. Only lost one but it took the others a while to recover. Didn't really take the time to prepare the soil before planting so that didn't help either. That was just laziness on my part, as well as still being new to real gardening. Always relied on mom's garden! So I'm trying to learn as I go now.

Got a good amount of blooms but not much fruiting. Hope this cooler weather will help with that. Next year I plan to be better educated and more prepared for the season. Maybe the fall will bring a good crop until then though?!?!
I think we are good to go for the year! Of course Mother Nature can be a hard task master........so it ain't over till it's over......but it sure looks good. I am already seeing what looks like a whole flurry of new fruit set. And only minimal disease.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote