Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 15, 2023   #1
Chrysos
Tomatovillian™

Default Is there a productive great tasting bi-color?

Here in the PNW I just can't seem to find a great bi-color tomato that does well. Pineapple is my favorite but I don't even try to grow it anymore due to low production. It's just too late and doesn't do well for me.
I really miss having it in the mix for a lovely Caprese salad plate. So beautiful and tasty.
The last few years I have tried the following:
Striped German - very low production, mealy texture
Big Rainbow - same as SG
Old German - same as above.

Any varieties that others have good luck with in the PNW? Max of 75-78 days

If anyone here in the PNW has not grown GGWT, DO! It outproduced all my other tomatoes last year, grown in a large pot!, Great taste and lovely!

Last edited by Chrysos; April 15, 2023 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spacing
Chrysos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2023   #2
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

For me, the two-tone Orange Russian 117 is so fertile.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2023   #3
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

We are working hard on this.

Our top 3 candidates this year.
Old April 16, 2023   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I really like Little Lucky. Brandywine is a parent, but too late for me. LL is smaller and earlier with that wonderful BW flavour .

If you don't mind something smaller, Fred's "Blush" is amazing for flavour. I grow it every year.

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; April 16, 2023 at 03:36 PM.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2023   #5
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Wherokowhai (dwarf) and Virginia Sweets a number of years back here in the PNW - although I recall VS was rather late and a slug favourite

thanks for heads up on GGWT ...... grew it one year, lovely plant, but not a single blossom!!
Old April 16, 2023   #6
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

I have little to offer because of two possibly critical differences:
I don't garden in the PNW, and have room for more tomato plants than I need

When I think bicolor, the first that come to mind are the striped varieties like Big Rainbow or Pineapple. They aren't all that spectacular for me either, and some years are less colorful than others.

But another class seems to be the yellow tomatoes with a pink or even red core inside. I'm trying a couple of new ones this year, and can't say how they will turn out. I successfully germinated 20-year-old seeds for a variety I received as "Amish Yellow" last year that fit the bill. That's such a generic name, it could apply to a few out there. I should have supplied seeds to Tormato and the MMMM swap, but just didn't think of it.

Another that I purchased as "Gold Medal Hybrid" years ago, saved seeds, and don't actually think was a hybrid delivers a tomato with a red core, pinkish bottom and golden top. It seems quite productive for me.

Finally, Azoychka often serves up yellow tomatoes with a pink blush...and lots of them. It's problematic in that it is thin-skinned and crack prone, but if one can control soil moisture will do OK.

Sent from my motorola edge (2022) using Tapatalk
Old April 17, 2023   #7
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I second Vladimir's recommendation of Orange Russian 117. Great heart tomato, great color, wonderful flavor, outstanding production. I like Gold Medal a lot, but it's a bit late for me here in northern Vermont.
Old April 17, 2023   #8
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

If OP is what you are looking for then For the PNW climate midnight sun is probably a fair bit earlier and consequently more productive over the season.
Delicious flavour.
Potato leaf indeterminate bicolour oxheart.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2023   #9
Chrysos
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Chrysos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2023   #10
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

I grew Oaxacan Jewel for the first time last year and loved it. Beautiful, delicious tomatoes, and the plant was very productive except that it stopped setting fruit for several weeks when temperatures were up around 90F. Tomato Growers Supply lists it as 80 days (by comparison, they list Pineapple at 85 days and Big Rainbow at 90-100 days). I got my first Oaxacan Jewel 65 days after transplant (transplanted 5/26, first tomato 7/29). This is in Virginia, in a garden that gets full sun all day. I realize that's not your climate, but for what it's worth, TomatoFifou says it performs well in cooler climates.

I've also grown Pineapple, Hillbilly PL, Big Rainbow and Armenian of the yellow/red bicolors. The only one of those four I expect to grow again is Pineapple. Armenian was very good, but I preferred Oaxacan Jewel. Hillbilly PL was late and had low/moderate productivity. Big Rainbow was a complete failure for me.
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2023   #11
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Oaxacan Jewel for many years. Big, sweet, delicious with great productivity
Strong Big plants. I highly recommend!!

Old Chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2023   #12
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

A little late to the thread...sorry. Hillbilly has been a good(not great) producer. Big Rainbow was a disappointment. Virginia Sweets has been the best of the bi-colors for production. Old German has been better than average. They all have excellent flavor.

One variety stands out for me. When it is on, it is the best. Orange Russian #117 is the prettiest, best tasting and prolific bi-color ever grown in my gardens. BIG CAVEAT...the part about being on is important. One out of three years OR117 is on. The other two years I have either gotten little or no fruit or it tastes below average. But when it is on...wowwee! Weather?, Me?, Soil? Who knows.

Now instead of cutting back on varieties I will be sending for Oaxacan Jewel seeds. That one sounds like a winner. Thanks a lot...said with sarcasm but anticipation.
Old April 21, 2023   #13
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I tried Burpee Tye Dye hybrid a few years ago. It was developed by Doug Heath and was bred with ph3 resistance to late blight. It is an interesting tomato otherwise, but flavor was 2nd tier at best.

https://www.burpee.com/tomato-tye-dy...rod001022.html
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2023   #14
KCinNC
Tomatovillian™

Not in the PNW but Gold Medal has been a great tomato for me in zone 7.
I've been growing it for years and hope to continue for several more.
I've tried several other bicolors but never tried one that I like better.
Good luck in your quest.
KCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2023   #15
KCinNC
Tomatovillian™

Not in the PNW but Gold Medal has been a great tomato for me in zone 7.
I've been growing it for years and hope to continue for several more.
I've tried several other bicolors colors but never tried one that I like better.
Good luck in your quest.
KCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote