Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 30, 2020   #1
lycomania
Tomatovillian™

Default Trying to diagnose my tomato problem

Hi All,
I'm having a major yellowing leaves problems with some of my tomato plants. It doesn't look like a foliar disease, and I don't think it's vert or fus wilt, going by the symptoms, but I could be wrong. The last picture is a bisected stem.

I had one plant get one of the wilts, and it would wilt before the leaves started dying. That's not happening with these plants. They mostly yellow first, starting from the bottom. I've been growing tomatoes here for about 8 years or so, and I've never seen it.

It's spreading upwards quite quickly. Help please?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200730_151143.jpg (227.6 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200730_151235.jpg (180.8 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200730_151606.jpg (92.0 KB, 257 views)
lycomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2020   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I would remove the lower leaves that are yellowed/dead and give your plants some fertilizer. I think that's all they need.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2020   #3
lycomania
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Linda. I'll go out and do that + foliar so at least I can cross that part off the list. I'd be surprised, but wouldn't be the first time.
Old July 31, 2020   #4
lycomania
Tomatovillian™

Well, sad to report I'm pretty sure it is fusarium wilt after all. It seems this came out of the blue after never seeing it before. These were all grown from seed by me, from seeds that are at least six years old, that I have been growing all these years.

I didn't want to believe it, but there it is.
Old August 1, 2020   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

So sorry to hear that . Hoping that you can rotate your tomatoes next season or else dig out the soil where they grew and replace it. I had it once, on one plant, and replacing the soil did the trick, fortunately!

Linda
Old August 1, 2020   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Definitely keep that area free from grass and weeds after you pull the plants. I am not supposed to have fusarium overwinter in my climate, but I think it did on some johnson grass.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2020   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It sure looks like mine do when fusarium starts getting to the plant. I wouldn't think you would have it that far north but with tomatoes all the rules go out the window.
I have been living with that mess for all four decades of my gardening but had some relief the past few years because of grafting with triple fusarium resistant root stock but this year I have had a resurgence. I think it is just a bad batch of root stock seed.

Maybe a cold winter will knock it back out of your garden so you won't have to worry about it next season.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2020   #8
lycomania
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everybody. Reading your insights takes some of the sting outl Linda, I hope digging out all of that soil is not in my future! I think I'll go for the lazy way out and pray for a cold winter.

I will be sure to keep that area clean and ready for deep-freezing. Or bleaching.
Old August 4, 2020   #9
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Hi Lycomania, Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting removing soil from the whole bed, just the area where the diseased plant was growing...... Just a thought for when the weather cools down a bit!

Linda
Old August 5, 2020   #10
LK2016
Tomatovillian™

Default How much soil to replace to stop this mess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Hi Lycomania, Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting removing soil from the whole bed, just the area where the diseased plant was growing...... Just a thought for when the weather cools down a bit!

Linda
How big an area would you remove and replace, how wide and how deep?

I have sadly concluded that I have one spot in my little backyard garden that is a serial killer. Last year my Amazon Chocolate in that spot just up and died. It looked good, next thing I knew it quickly shriveled up and died.

It is a primo spot, lots of sun, what I thought was a nice fertile area. But this year, I put my ONE Pink Berkeley Tie Dye plant there, and it looked good until suddenly I realized it was not keeping up ... and now it is pathetic, tiny, shriveled, definitely dying.

In the first picture, taken July 12 2020, there is a Carbon to the left, and the next one to the right is the PBTD and both look fine.

In the second picture, taken yesterday August 4 2020 from a different angle, the PBTD is on the dying thing in the left, and the Carbon is on the right, looking big and healthy.

Last edited by LK2016; August 5, 2020 at 05:27 PM. Reason: adding pictures
LK2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2020   #11
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

When I had a Stupice go down due to bacterial wilt one year, I simply shoveled out the soil where that plant had grown, probably an area of 2' square. I just visualized where the roots were, and excavated that chunk of soil and moved it to the flower bed. It might be worth a try. However, I would suggest that you don't plant an "important" tomato plant there next year just in case it doesn't work!

Linda
Old August 6, 2020   #12
LK2016
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Linda, I am going to have to try that. Even after adding more soil, though maybe I'll try to grow something else (not a tomato) first. It feels like the executioner's block.
Old August 8, 2020   #13
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Before I started using my current root stock which has fairly good resistance to Bacterial wilt, I used to pour a gallon or so of a 10% solution of bleach in the soil where the plant was removed. Of course I had to wait a week or two before replanting in the spot but I never had a problem with the follow up plant getting Bacterial wilt. It was a much easier solution than digging out the dirt and replacing it and it worked for me.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2020   #14
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

What a great idea Bill .

Linda
Old August 10, 2020   #15
LK2016
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Before I started using my current root stock which has fairly good resistance to Bacterial wilt, I used to pour a gallon or so of a 10% solution of bleach in the soil where the plant was removed. Of course I had to wait a week or two before replanting in the spot but I never had a problem with the follow up plant getting Bacterial wilt. It was a much easier solution than digging out the dirt and replacing it and it worked for me.

Bill
You know, I was wondering about this ... I don't think it would hurt to try it, so I think I will give it a go! Thank you!