Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 23, 2020   #1
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Default Caspian Pink

My all time favorite! Can't say enough about this tomato. It is a rather "late" variety in my garden but well worth the wait. It is has a wonderful balance of sweet and acid taste. Plenty of juice and nice after taste. It tends to be rather stingy on production, but I plant 3 plants of this variety each season due to that fact. It ripens with green shoulders but tend to fade as the tomato ripens. It will have radial cracks around the stem depending on temps. and watering conditions but nothing to drastic. It is a regular leaf tomato and has few disease problems in my garden. If you haven't tried this tomato...Please give it a try! It is my all time favorite "pink" tomato.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200323_153423_8.jpg (82.7 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200323_153450_1.jpg (66.8 KB, 165 views)
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2020   #2
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenboy View Post
My all time favorite! Can't say enough about this tomato. It is a rather "late" variety in my garden but well worth the wait. It is has a wonderful balance of sweet and acid taste. Plenty of juice and nice after taste. It tends to be rather stingy on production, but I plant 3 plants of this variety each season due to that fact. It ripens with green shoulders but tend to fade as the tomato ripens. It will have radial cracks around the stem depending on temps. and watering conditions but nothing to drastic. It is a regular leaf tomato and has few disease problems in my garden. If you haven't tried this tomato...Please give it a try! It is my all time favorite "pink" tomato.
Good taste, but like you say, pretty late and really low productivity - I don't have the space or season to dedicate to it. Lots of good, earlier, & more productive pinks around.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2020   #3
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful tomatoes and taste as good as they look!
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2020   #4
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

One of the original varieties we have grown since 1999 when I discovered (HA!) heirlooms. Most years since then it has been in our gardens. Great choice.
Old March 24, 2020   #5
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Caspian Pink produces fruit rather late in my garden, but it is one tough plant and hangs in there when many other tomato plants fail. In my opinion it is one of the best tasting slicer for BLTs and well worth the wait.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2020   #6
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Gonna have to try that one Doug.
Old March 31, 2020   #7
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

For me the production was actually very good. Very big tomatoes of a uniform shape, cracks quite a bit at the shoulders though.
The plants look terrible however, never had something with so much leaf roll.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2020   #8
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Caspian Pink has good enough production, large slicer, large core, mediocre flavor. Other large pinks that should be on the agenda include Stump of the World, Dester, Terhune, Daniels, and Dora. IMO, any of these have better flavor than Caspian Pink.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2020   #9
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Caspian Pink has good enough production, large slicer, large core, mediocre flavor. Other large pinks that should be on the agenda include Stump of the World, Dester, Terhune, Daniels, and Dora. IMO, any of these have better flavor than Caspian Pink.
It may be that regional experiences as to flavor are at play with Caspian Pink. Darrell's suggestions also are very good choices in my part of the world and also deserve a try. Since you are both in the southern part of the country, Fusion's experience would most likely count more.