Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 10, 2009   #1
garden_frog
Tomatovillian™

Default The Proposal to Outlaw the Home Garden - HR 875 and S 425

Forgive me if I'm posting something controversial here. That's not my intent at all. I'm not looking to start a debate, just trying to get informed.

I read something regarding these bills in one of my gardening news groups and what I read scared me. But all I can seem to find on them isn't from a reputable source. I did find the bill itself, but the language is such that I can't really figure out what exactly it's saying. I get that they want to introduce an agency solely responsible for food saftey in the US, but beyond that I'm a bit lost.

I'm hoping what I'm reading regarding these bills is just hype or paranoia, but I just don't know. If they are really proposing what I'm reading then I am just sickened. Trying to force organic farmers to use pesticides is just ludicrous and that doesn't even touch on the claims that the bill would attempt to regulate farmer's markets and backyard gardens. It seems far fetched to me, but I don't want to ignore it either if that truly is a component of the bill.

So does anyone know anything about these bills or have any credible sources of information regarding them beyond the actual bill itself?

Here's the link I found to the bill itself...

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h875/text

And here's the link that the newsgroup sent me to, but again, I don't really know of this as a reliable source so I don't know if it's hype or not...

http://connect.bioneers.org/video/hr...25-criminalize

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

"A little nonsense now and then, cherished by the wisest men." - Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka
garden_frog is offline   Reply With Quote