Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 13, 2019   #1
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Sunflowers

First year growing these. I'm trying the dwarf ones in 2 pots and I was able to sow some of the tall ones in a reclaimed yard waste/compost area. I have absolutely no more room for later sowings right now. I can use a tomato plant area when tomato season is finished for me in late June at the latest. I'm wondering if that's too late to start sunflowers?

The tall ones have catchy names like Apricot Twist, Lemon Sorbet, Moonshadow, Peach Passion, Starburst Lemon Aura, Stella Gold, and Starburst Lemon Eclair.

Wish me luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0413191453.jpg (370.7 KB, 132 views)
Old April 13, 2019   #2
eyegrotom
Tomatovillian™

I live in Southern California,so I think the Weather is about the same. I started some in August,and some in November. No problem with either one. If you want to save for seeds or for eating you need to keep a Eye out for the Birds. Mike
eyegrotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2019   #3
PlainJane

I don’t think June or even July’s too late. You’ll have 4 months of growing weather at the least.
Makes me think I should start some too!
Old April 13, 2019   #4
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

What have I got to lose except for a few seeds? It will be a learning experience. The only downside is I'll be doing a lot of watering to keep the seedlings alive and the sun will be brutal.

Last edited by SpookyShoe; April 14, 2019 at 07:26 PM.
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2019   #5
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Pickles is in charge of the sunflowers. They're easy to do, grow quickly and are just plain fun to have around.

This year we're playing with something someone here (I think) mentioned and that's planting some at the end of each bed to provide a little shade during the heart of southern summers. So she'll plant maybe four across the southern end of each 4' wide bed. Always have to have something to play with!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019   #6
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Go for it Spooky, the ones I just cut went in the ground around Christmas so if you have four months you should be right.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2019   #7
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Germination

The dwarf sunflower seeds I potted into plants are sprouting already. This will be fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0417191143.jpg (429.6 KB, 80 views)
Old December 2, 2019   #8
loudog
Tomatovillian™

I grew some yacon plants this year, they contain inulin and are called the Peruvian ground apple, good for diabetics to eat, juicy crunchy tubers. Also grew some Jerusalem artichokes and are also tasty roasted. both are in the sunflower family.
loudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2019   #9
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudog View Post
I grew some yacon plants this year, they contain inulin and are called the Peruvian ground apple, good for diabetics to eat, juicy crunchy tubers. Also grew some Jerusalem artichokes and are also tasty roasted. both are in the sunflower family.

I grew yacon once

I had my daughter make a Yacon Pie, lol I was the only one that liked it (texture thing) I thought it was awesome lol.
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote