Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old December 29, 2015   #1
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

Default Brad​ford Wate​rmelo​n

I've recently read about the Bradford watermelon, a rare heirloom from South Carolina. Has anyone here grown it? I'd like to get my hands on some seed to try this season.
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2015   #2
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPeppa View Post
I've recently read about the Bradford watermelon, a rare heirloom from South Carolina. Has anyone here grown it? I'd like to get my hands on some seed to try this season.
I have seed to try this season that i bought from the source. When they came they obviously were new at this because the seeds were not padded and in a regular envelope. The seeds i have are a little crunched up so i hope they germinate.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2015   #3
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

Wow, well I sure hope they germinate for you. When I looked at this site they had a price of $10 per packet, lol.
Old February 19, 2016   #4
shule1

Have you seen the video?
Old February 19, 2016   #5
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

LOL. That was great. Thanks for posting shule1.
Old February 19, 2016   #6
shule1

Np.
Old March 3, 2016   #7
Jaymato
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying to find seeds for this one, the Bradford site is sold out? Does anyone have seed for trade or know of another source?
Jaymato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2016   #8
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

That is a cute video... but I do dislike the strange biological myths the speaker attributes to watermelons.
Old March 3, 2016   #9
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I bought seed for last season. When they came in the mail the sent them in a plain envelope no padding. Everyone of them had cracks and were crushed. I emailed the company and they sent me new seeds.....the exact same way smashed. So i technically have 20 seeds but they are all mangled. I planted 6 seeds for this season but none have germinated. I have no faith in the Bradford Watermelon Seed Company. I am going to start swvwral more of the seeds this weekend but considering their condition i doubt i will ever taste the Bradford.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
Old March 4, 2016   #10
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

Well if somehow one or more of us gets some fresh seed, we can do a grow out and then share seeds here on TV.
Old March 24, 2016   #11
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

Default Here it its..

I emailed them regarding seed availability and got a reply. They are selling via SowTrueSeed. Here's the link. https://sowtrueseed.com/product/brad...ly-watermelon/

Old March 24, 2016   #12
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Im going to give yall a friendly warning about these Bradford Watermelon seeds. I have sowed 14 out of 20 with ZERO germination. In the same flat i planted 12 cells with 2 seeds of each and had 100% germination on the Sugar Baby watermelon seeds from 2011. After getting smashed seeds twice and sowing 14 of the best ones, getting zero germination i would never give them my money ever again. Its ashame because i was really looking forward to this melon. If anyone has seeds that sprouted i would love to here how about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160320_195226-800x450.jpg (107.1 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 20160320_195238-800x450.jpg (78.3 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by heirloomtomaguy; March 24, 2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old March 24, 2016   #13
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

Well I'm hoping that with SowTrueSeeds handling and shipping them that should correct the problem. We'll see.
Old March 24, 2016   #14
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

10$ a pack..meh I think I will just grow others. It cant be that much better than other melons.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016   #15
Christa B.
Tomatovillian™

I am growing them this year, ordered the seeds last year. Luckily my seeds didn't look smashed. I planted them a few days ago so I am still waiting for them to germinate. Last year the proceeds (not sure what percentage) went to providing clean drinking water via new wells to people around the world. I don't know if that is the case this year. I will update when I find out if they are going to grow, now I am a little worried!
Christa B. is offline   Reply With Quote