Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 19, 2018   #1411
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Barb I am so pleased you liked it well enough to grow it again!
I will look forward to your photo, thank you for posting !
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2018   #1412
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by encore View Post
last KARMA pink! and it's a double!
Looks good enough to eat!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2018   #1413
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Karen and Marsha for the seed. Set out one Karma Pink in late April in a garden spot that sees about a half days sun. It also competes with a nearby tree for moisture. K.P. makes a vigorous plant. It filled up a 6ft. by 2ft. diameter cage and spilled over the top several feet. It has a somewhat open growth habit allowing for good air flow. This plant showed absolutely no signs of disease. Fruit size is on the very large side, with some topping 2 ounces. Clusters held 4 -6 tomatoes easily. Tomatoes were on the tart side as far as taste. As the season progressed and dried up, tomatoes sweetened up a bit but not to the point where I would call the taste balanced. I like a tomato with a bit of a bite but these were a little too tart. I set out a couple cuttings in mid July, one in a pot and another in the ground. Both started producing late Sept. Still a bit tart but sweeter than the early planting. I left the pot grown K.P. out. It is now 26 degrees with a heavy frost. If it survives the cold I will post later.

To sum it up, I will try K.P. another year from saved seed. The vigorous, healthy nature of the plant alone make it worth another try.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2018   #1414
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbebs View Post
Thank you Karen and Marsha for the seed. Set out one Karma Pink in late April in a garden spot that sees about a half days sun. It also competes with a nearby tree for moisture. K.P. makes a vigorous plant. It filled up a 6ft. by 2ft. diameter cage and spilled over the top several feet. It has a somewhat open growth habit allowing for good air flow. This plant showed absolutely no signs of disease. Fruit size is on the very large side, with some topping 2 ounces. Clusters held 4 -6 tomatoes easily. Tomatoes were on the tart side as far as taste. As the season progressed and dried up, tomatoes sweetened up a bit but not to the point where I would call the taste balanced. I like a tomato with a bit of a bite but these were a little too tart. I set out a couple cuttings in mid July, one in a pot and another in the ground. Both started producing late Sept. Still a bit tart but sweeter than the early planting. I left the pot grown K.P. out. It is now 26 degrees with a heavy frost. If it survives the cold I will post later.

To sum it up, I will try K.P. another year from saved seed. The vigorous, healthy nature of the plant alone make it worth another try.
Thanks for the report, its so interesting how differently the same tomato performs from one person's garden to the other. In my garden they had a lot of acid, but so much sugar that they were sweet to my taste. I suggest waiting until they are totally bright pink with no green at all before trying, (call it overipe), maybe that will improve the taste. Very glad to hear about the vigorous growth. Thank you so much for your excellent report.
Old October 21, 2018   #1415
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

The Floridians all seem very happy with them, so I know they do well in the very far south.
Old October 23, 2018   #1416
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Here's a few of my KARMA PINKS started for Season #2. We were in Tennessee for the month of September so made a return trip in the car with some very leggy plants. We came back to temperatures hotter than August. Sunday and Monday it finally cooled off some, but hot temps are scheduled for the rest of the week and then smooth sailing starting Friday. Our wind has thickened all the plants stems.

They are flowering like crazy; no dropped blossoms and I am buzzing them with the electric toothbrush. (My vegibee broke and for $40, I'm not buying another).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0706.jpg (596.7 KB, 217 views)

Last edited by Barb_FL; October 23, 2018 at 02:05 PM.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2018   #1417
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

They look terrific Barb, hope they set for you in the heat, please let us know
Karen
Old December 9, 2018   #1418
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Have just checked plants properly for the first time in several weeks and found 2 fruit on one of the plants, first truss. Largest about 15 mm. To late now for photos, will get them in next day or so.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2018   #1419
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwoz View Post
Have just checked plants properly for the first time in several weeks and found 2 fruit on one of the plants, first truss. Largest about 15 mm. To late now for photos, will get them in next day or so.
I am very much looking forward to your photos.
Old December 9, 2018   #1420
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Excellent, I am excited to see them and hear what you think!
KarenO
Old December 9, 2018   #1421
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

I'm a bit ahead of Woz on fruit & plant size, with my plant about 3ft 6" high and currently carrying three leaders, but that will change when I get fruit showing on the truss I've chosen to bag for seed, then I'll prune to two leaders. To me, the foliage seems a bit sparse, but I'm comparing off another potato leaf variety next to it. My season started with a mid to late October planting, so I'm traveling pretty good at the moment with my plants.

My first truss is filling out in size.

My bagged truss should give me enough seed for next season.

mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2018   #1422
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Mcsee, I reckon that the growth is similar to Bloody Butcher and Japanese Black Triffle here, no where near as solid as Grubs.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2018   #1423
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

It’s a cherry, unlike others.
Careful with too much pruning, you will reduce your yield not increase it.
Karen
Old December 13, 2018   #1424
MdTNGrdner

Hi Karen, just wanted to say thanks for the KARMA Pinks this year, they were great! No pics but in a garden of extremes they were strong, healthy, productive, and will be grown again

Many thanks to you and Marsha!
Old December 13, 2018   #1425
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Selfishly sneaking in to ask if the new Karmas might be ready for trials by spring? I am making room in my garden plans for the spring for Miracle, Apricot and Purple multiflora... just in case!
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote