Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 10, 2019   #1
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default how do you moisten your Promix?

With water, sure I guessed that!
The last time I tried Promix it was really dry and don't remember if I had to soak it before sowing or what.
This time I have a shiny new unopened bag of premium organic seed starting promix (mycoactive). Bag says " Ready to Use" and instructions say " put moistened mix into your trays..." etc.

So what do I expect? Is this a peaty mix that needs a soak overnight? What do you do?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Who has time to wait forever for the mix to absorb water? I usually put some Pro-mix into a big tub and pour some water on it, stir it up and by the time I've selected my pots, placed newspaper squares in the bottom and labelled them, it's good to go. However, if it's particularly dry, I use boiling water which moistens it instantly. Of course it is then necessary to wait until it has cooled down before planting seedlings into it...…

My previous bale was perfect moisture wise (didn't need much added) and I kept some of it in the basement over the winter. I could grab great big chunks of it to put into my tub. The new bale is so incredibly dry that it takes an eternity to get it out of the bag, one scoop at a time. There must be an easier way to do this.

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; May 10, 2019 at 12:59 PM.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Linda, that's very interesting!
I just opened the bag and this one is not entirely moisture free, so hopefully that means it will absorb water more easily.
I used boiling water with plain peat before, and it definitely works better than cold. The stuff that has been commercially dried out just wants to stay dry!

But I wouldn't want to boil the 'mycoactive' part in this mix, for whatever it's worth. So cool water will have to do....
Hard to believe I haven't started any tomatoes yet. I guess late is a different season.
Old May 10, 2019   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Oh my goodness! It seems so late for staring tomatoes. When do you normally start yours? I wish you were around the corner and I could give you some of my extras.

Ah yes. The mycoactive "goodies". Warm water would probably be good enough in that case .

Linda
Old May 10, 2019   #5
taboule
Tomatovillian™

>>> The new bale is so incredibly dry that it takes an eternity to get it out of the bag, one scoop at a time. There must be an easier way to do this.

I can relate. In such cases, I've resorted to using a long, preferably serrated knife to slice chunks off, in whatever shape or size you want. Very soft and easy to cut -fast. Then put in tub and add water.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019   #6
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well I usually start super early.. last year I planted out in the greenhouse in april again iirc - the usual time for greenhouse planting here is May 15th and I'm nearly always ahead of that.

This year I set the date to start a couple of times already, and when the day came I was not feelin it! It's been really cold and I'm not the only one who delayed planting because.... it's hard to see spring coming. May even be a year without a summer, would not be the first. And I can't do the greenhouse slavery this year - other commitments don't permit.

So this will have to do... It is actually about right for planting outdoors - which has to be after the solstice here realistically, to get tomato temperatures. Conditions being what they are, I'm just going to start seeds for a few lines that need testing outdoors anyway, and see what happens. That way I don't have to worry about a complete fail - I will just have to hold off any precious or special or 'few' seeds until next year.
Old May 10, 2019   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™

Taboule, that sounds like a great way to handle bales of peat. Will definitely use a saw next time.
Old May 10, 2019   #8
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Bower, sorry that you weren't feeling up to seed starting this year. I do know what you mean though. If the weather is cruddy, it can really drag one down.

Perhaps you can find some tomato seedlings at a local nursery (Sungold?) and then just nurture a few of your own.

Growing tomatoes from seed really is a lot of work when I think about it, and it takes so darned long before we get any fruit! A true labour of love .

I hope you have some tomatoes to enjoy this summer and that it won't be a summerless year .

Linda
Old May 10, 2019   #9
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Tabule, many thanks for the serrated knife idea. I'm sure that will help a LOT .

Linda
Old May 10, 2019   #10
oakley
Tomatovillian™

When I have a compressed dry bail I use a 'ginzu' cheapie serrated breadknife.
(worthless in the kitchen but great for gardening).

The past couple years I've had the Sungro and ProMix big dry soft bags for
potting up. They are bone dry. I keep a pint deli cup in the bag and fill 4-5 one gallon
zip-locks. Keep them handy under my potting bench and wet as I need them.
Takes about a half hour to hydrate. I'm just doing one-two gallon grow bags now and
small cell to 4inch tall pots, indeterminate. Dwarf and micro, into grow bags.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Big tub warm water around 98.6 degrees F or 37 C.
Pinch of Dawn dish washing liquid as an anti surfactant.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019   #12
oakley
Tomatovillian™

For seed starting I would not 'wet' more than needed.
The remainder 'damp' will be fine for potting up. I like compressed coir pellets.
Kept sealed and dry are perfect for year-round salads. Wet when needed.
(but you know that)
Old May 10, 2019   #13
bower
Tomatovillian™

Yea, Oakley, the gallon ziploc is a good idea. In the end I've put about half of this small bag into a washtub and after mixing in some water and then some compost, enough mix for a tray or so. It actually was no trouble to moisten, unlike the super dry stuff I had before.

I never had any luck with pellets nor with peat pots, which tend to lose their moisture easily when set out in our windy place.
Old May 10, 2019   #14
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Not mesh pot pellets...pelleted soil is coir only.. not mesh pots.
Old May 11, 2019   #15
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

I buy the compressed bales of ProMix and I stand one on end and open it, then I make a depression in it and pour water in it, scraping in dry material from the sides with a serrated-edged combination garden scoop/trowel and stirring it until mixed. Once I use the moistened stuff, I repeat the process, making a bowl in the middle of the bale as I work my way through it. No sawing, cutting, etc. and less dust raised too.